Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Milestones



I find great joy in watching the accomplishments of our children, and today was no exception.

The day started out with carpool to school...in the pouring rain.  While I was outside Jack's class, waiting for him to go in, his teacher, Mrs. Rad motioned to me and told me that Jack would be reading a "Book Talk" over the school-wide intercom system right after the bell rang.  She asked if I'd like to stay to hear him...to which I replied with an enthusiastic "Yes!"

At 8:40, Jack, another classmate, and Mrs. Rad left the classroom to go into the office.  I sat down on a miniature chair with Grant and waited anxiously.  Would he do it?  Would he bow out at the last minute?

I heard the announcement that it was time for the morning book talk, and then heard my sweet son:

"My name is Jack Whitaker and I am in kindergarten.  The book I read was The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss.  

It is about a cat who visits a brother and sister on a rainy day when they don't have anything to do.

I liked this book because it is fun to read and it is funny."


As soon as I heard his name, the tears started flowing.  I didn't even try and hide them.  They were tears of complete joy.  My sweet boy was able to speak clearly and with confidence and actually read for the entire school to hear.  

After we left school, I had my preschool registration appointment for Grant.  Unbelievable that it's time to even think about that, let alone actually do it!  The teachers remembered me, and came out asking about Jack, and in utter disbelief that Grant will be attending in the fall.  The time flies.  And my babies aren't babies anymore...and I'm a happy mommy.

2 comments:

The DeVito's said...

That's a great story! It brought tears to my eyes.

The DeVito's said...

That was a great story! It brought tears to my eyes.