Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Grass Really IS Greener!

We are in the process of fixing up our backyard. There's not too much we can do, as most of our yard is concrete and decking. We have some nice trees, and a few shrubs. 

This is what our backyard looked like last March:


Earlier this year, we decided to rip out our old, rotting wooden fence and replace it with a wrought iron fence, to make the yard seem more open. I had an ulterior motive as well...I wanted to use some of the open space behind the house to plant a garden.

This week, our old fence was ripped out, and the posts cemented in place for the new fence. 

This is what it looks like now:

(The wooden crates covered in chicken wire are my new raised garden beds, waiting patiently to be put into place sometime this week!)

The rest of the fence should be installed this week, and the barb wire will be relocated to barricade off my garden and protect it from the wildlife that roams the hills.

I can't believe what a difference it has made to have the old fence ripped out. I can look out the window and see GREEN. Not just shrubs or fence, but actual GREEN! I realize that this lush green will turn brown by summer, but there is still something peaceful and cathartic about looking out into the open space. It invites me outside. Makes me WANT to be outside, digging in the dirt and soaking in the sun.

You know the old saying "The grass is always greener on the other side"? Well, in this case, it's really true!



1 comment:

The DeVito's said...

I can't believe how much bigger it looks with the fence down! You will love it!