Monday, March 30, 2009

Where Happiness Grows

I woke up this morning and felt exceptionally happy.  Almost giddy.  Don't get me wrong, I'm usually quite a happy person.  But today felt different.  

Maybe it has something to do with this:

Steve built these raised beds to go in the open space behind our house.

The beds are surrounded by chicken wire and covered with netting to keep the wildlife out!

I spent most of yesterday afternoon digging in the dirt, planting vegetables in my very first garden.  I lost track of time, and only came in when the kids started complaining they were hungry (it was past 6:00 after all!).

I'm not one to have an extraordinary green thumb.  Most of our houseplants have died over the years.  But this year feels different.  I have been tending my little seedlings growing in an egg carton.  I ooh and aah over them every morning, congratulating them on their overnight growth.  

These are my beans and sugar snap peas!

Jack planted this canteloupe at school, can't wait for this one!

My daytime thoughts have been almost consumed with thoughts of my garden.  Eagerly anticipating the day when I can walk outside and pluck that first red ripe tomato off the vine, or make a salad from home grown lettuce and carrots.  My dreams have been filled with gardening ideas.  (I know, a little obsessive.  But there are worse obsessions, right?)

When I read my morning calendar thought, I suddenly knew why I felt so happy.  It said 


So as I dig in the dirt, and tend to and nurture the emerging plants, I'm not just growing vegetables.  I'm growing my very own garden of happiness.  And those seeds of joy will be harvested and shared daily!

2 comments:

The DeVito's said...

I love your calendar for the day! I'm sure the happiness had something to do with going walking too, right???

Jenny said...

I'm so jealous. My beds are still sitting outside empty. I'm have a bunch of live plants and trees I bought to plant that are still waiting so I told myself I couldn't start growing more until those were planted! As soon as I get back from Sacto after Easter break though the veggies are going in!