Friday, September 26, 2008

Aging Gracefully


Today is Steve's 41st birthday.  While there are way more than 41 things I adore and admire about Steve, I'm sticking to 10 for time's sake.  Here they are, in no particular order:

1.  His even temper.  He is able to look at things objectively and solve problems without getting emotionally worked up.  That's a good contrast to me!

2.  His laugh.  He has a cheerful, happy personality, but doesn't laugh out loud often.  When he does, it's contagious.

3.  His work ethic.  Whether it's washing the windows or designing a bridge, he puts his whole heart into a project and doesn't stop until it's done to perfection.  

4.  His inner drive.  This one goes along with his work ethic - when he makes a decision to do something, he does it. 

5.  He's an amazing dad.  When we were dating, I imagined he would be a good dad.  I had no idea he'd be a GREAT, AMAZING, BETTER THAN I EVER COULD HAVE HOPED FOR dad. Honestly, I can't imagine our kids having anyone better.  

6.  His youthful spirit.  When he's playing with the kids, or hopping on his skateboard, I see the kid in him emerge.  It's in there.  And he still looks hip, coordinated and sexy doing skateboard tricks on the driveway in his shorts and bare feet.  And I cringe, hoping he doesn't fall.

7.  His love of family.  Not just our immediate little family, but my family, and his family too.  The patience, kindness and attention he shows his mom is inspiring.  And he has seen my family through some trials and challenges as well, without backing away.  He's in it for the long haul.

8.  His "wild" side.  Watching him ride away on his motorcycle, or drive crazy in the dune buggy, I am glad he has a sense of adventure within.  He knows what his limits are, and doesn't push past them.  But he's not afraid of thrill-seeking.

9.  His quiet side.  I am more of a talker than Steve.  I like to process things out loud, and hash and rehash things.  Steve keeps things more to himself, in a thoughtful way.  He talks when he has something to say, and is quiet when he doesn't.  I respect and appreciate that.

10.  His love.  He makes me feel loved, and I know he is in this forever.  And so am I.

Happy Birthday Honey!

May the next 41 years of your life be as full as the first.


2 comments:

Just the Seven of Us said...

Steve, happy, happy birthday. Alyson - I am SURE you don't need to lose weight, and I am very proud of you for working on a half marathon. Man, maybe someday!! Great job!

Robyn said...

I totally know you!! How weird that I would stumble across you this way! I was checking out Katie Whitaker's blog and wanted to get more blog ideas so I checked out her friends blogs. That how I found you. I noticed that Stephanie Peterson/Cullumber has a blog also, that I could get to through you. This is all so wierd to me and proves that the world is truly small. I was roomates with Katie 12 years ago and Stephanie's mom was my seminary teacher. Not sure this is the way to connect with you but all this blog stuff is new to me.