Friday, September 12, 2008

What DO Vegetarians eat?

My darling brother Shepard and his wonderful wife Breanne were in town this week.  We hadn't seen them since their wedding in July, 2006.  


Leading up to their visit, I was a bit concerned about what to cook, as they are both pretty dedicated vegetarians.  I wanted to accommodate them as much as possible, while still fixing foods that the kids would eat.

Turned out to not be as hard as I thought.  We had veggie lasagna one night, pesto pasta another night (I grilled some salmon for us to have on the side), made big salads and steamed some veggies.  

Shep and Bre offered to cook dinner for us one night.  Shep & I went to the store, bought what he needed, and they went to work in the kitchen.  


Jack and Olivia had a ball helping shape Falafel patties (and coming up with all sorts of rhymes - falafel waffle was our favorite!).


Dinner was amazing.  We enjoyed the falafel patties topped with avocado, mango salsa & sour cream, a yummy veggie medley and fresh watermelon.  Everyone loved it.

Having them here for a few days, and seeing how healthy and radiant they are made me think that perhaps I should take the Word of Wisdom a bit more literally when it says "eat meat sparingly".   I don't have immediate plans to cut out all meat from our diet, but I think some menu adjustments are in order.

3 comments:

The DeVito's said...

Funny you should post that about the WoW because Heather and I were just discussing that part of it and how people forget that's part of it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I wish Wesley didn't want to have meat all the time. I think I could EASILY go without so much meat. I hope you have some recipes!

emily, etc, etc said...

Shepard's wife is darling!!! I haven't seen Shep since our BYU days and I have really missed him. He looks great and I am so glad that they are happy!!!