Friday, September 19, 2008

Cleansing Body & Soul

A couple of weeks ago, while my hair color was processing, my hairdresser told me about this new service that she was providing - Ionic Foot Detoxifying.

The theory behind this, is that our body accumulates excess minerals and toxins, which our bloodstream cannot flush out.  The process involves immersing your feet in a tub of salt water, then an electric coil is placed in the water which emits a slight electric current, which then somehow sucks the toxins and excess minerals out of the extremely porous surface of the bottom of the feet.

I was skeptical at first.  Not really believing that there was this build-up.  But I had nothing else to do while my hair was processing, so I decided to give it a try.  I stuck my feet in this tub, and picked up the latest edition of People to catch up on celebrity gossip.  

20 minutes later, Teresa said "Wow, take a look at the water!"  I looked and saw the most disgustingly colored water I'd ever seen.  And it was thick with blackish-greenish-orange sediment.

I was thoroughly disgusted, but didn't really notice any immediate change.  That was two weeks ago.  In the past two weeks, I have slept better than I have in months.  I have more energy.  But more than that, I have been a better wife and mom.  I have been more patient with my kids.  I haven't yelled once, in two weeks.  That is an all-time record for me.  

I went last night to get my hair cut (she didn't have time to cut when she colored, hence a second appointment).  I thought I'd do it again, and see if I got the same results.

Here's what the water looked like 20 minutes in:


And here's what the water looked like after my feet were 
out and the sediment had settled to the bottom:


The nay-sayers claim it's caused by the reaction of the coils in the salt water, and that nothing really comes out of your feet.  Skeptics can say all they want. Maybe it is just a coincidence. But I saw it first hand, and am a believer. And if getting that stuff out of my system makes me more of the mom I want to be, I'll take it.

4 comments:

The DeVito's said...

I wanna try it! I've heard about those things. If you do that after mud packs to heal scars it gets even more out and has better effects!

Kayelynn said...

Hey, we have one of those! It's pretty amazing how much better we feel after doing an ion cleanse. Oh, and don't worry, I have seen it run alone with no feet and it only turns the water a little bit orange. My boys beg to have a "foot bath" and they sit there while they watch a movie on my laptop. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better after doing it.

Anonymous said...

That is TOTALLY disgusting. I can't believe the color of the water - and it was all frothy and everything. Gross. When you were describing it to me, I didn't imagine it would look that gross. =o) I'll have to try it out.

Ryan and Renee said...

I've seen those things before and have never really beleived it, but after reading this I think I should give it a shot.