Friday, September 19, 2008

I survived!

Last weekend, I competed in the Pacific Grove International Triathlon!  It was an amazing experience, and challenged me mentally and physically more than ever before.

The race started with a 1mile swim...in the Pacific Ocean!  We swam in the cove off of Lover's Point in Pacific Grove.  The water was a balmy 56 degrees, and full of kelp.  The swim is jokingly referred to as the "Kelp Krawl", which is an accurate description!

We had to swim 2 loops around the cove, exiting the water in between.  I jumped in the water a few minutes before my starting time to "get used" to the water.  As if that was possible.  It was so cold that it took my breath away, and I didn't think I'd be able to swim.  But somehow, after I got out of the water and stood around for a couple of minutes in my line-up, when I got back in the water, it actually felt warm and I was able to get into a good swim rhythm right off the bat.  And the kelp didn't even really bother me...it was just a nuisance!

Here I am, coming in at the end of my bike ride.  
Check out the stud BEHIND me!  
In his little matchy-matchy suit, and BEHIND me!

This was the start of the run.  
Steve was irritated because this other lady slowed down in front of me, 
and started talking to her friends on the sidelines.  
This was a RACE for heaven's sake, not a social gathering.
It was a beautiful day, perfect race weather.  The sun came out at the end of the run, and it felt amazing to breathe in that ocean air and enjoy the breathtaking surroundings.

Here are my two adorable boys...truly taking in every moment.  
Don't they look enthusiastic? 

All finished...with a big fat medal around my neck.  
No, I didn't actually win the race.  
I finished in 3 hours, 33 minutes.

My next race is the Nike 1/2 marathon in San Francisco on October 19.  After that, I think I'll take a break from these crazy intense races, and try something a little more relaxing....like yoga.  Or sitting on my couch with my feet up, watching movies and eating bon bons.

2 comments:

The DeVito's said...

Congratulations!! You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

That's incredible. I love that you're so dedicated to your training. Amazing.

I love that Jack missed out on everything. That kid is always asleep when I see him. =o)

So .. you're going to take up MY workout. The one with my on the couch, with my feet up, eating bon-bons. I toally own that one.