Thursday, May 8, 2008

What I've Been Up To...

So Steve has been out of town the past 9 days.  The first 4 were for his annual "guys trip" down to the desert with dirt bikes & dune buggy, then the past 5 days, he's been in North Carolina for work.  When I found out he was going to be gone so long, I called my mom and asked her to come down to play...and help with the kids.  To my surprise, she agreed, and flew in the same day Steve left and was here for 8 days.  

It was a whirlwind week.  Between the regular events of school, carpool, gymnastics, swim team, etc., there were several "extras" going on as well.  A baby shower for a friend, Spring Fling Fundraiser at Olivia's school, 4-H Pancake Breakfast, and my triathlon training was crammed in there too.  I think we wore my mom out with the pace at which we live...she needed naps right along with Grant & Jack!

My big goal while Steve was away was to complete the quilt tops for Jack & Grant's "Super Hero" room...the theme was picked by Jack and seems to fit the boys perfectly.  I found some great stuff at Pottery Barn Kids, but couldn't find a quilt/comforter that fit the decor and matched the colors just right.  So I had the hare-brained idea to make two twin size quilts...in all my free time.  I found the perfect theme print on ebay, and have had the fabric for nearly 5 months, during which I hadn't made the time to get them sewn.  After several late nights, and lots of take-out food, I now can say they're done...at least the tops are.  I love how they turned out, bright, colorful, and quite "boyish".  The best part was having Jack sitting next to me as I finished the last seam, with him nearly jumping out of his seat with excitement as he exclaimed "I love my Batman blanket.  It's just what I wanted."  That made the time, efforts and money all worth it. My next task is to get them quilted and bound, then begin the redecorating process in their room.  I can't wait! 

Grant's bed will be "Superman"


Jack's bed will be "Batman"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quilt tops turned out awesome! You are amazing. Any chance you want to teach a mini-quilting class for enrichment? =o) I've totally missed you! Since your mom's been in town, I haven't talked with you much. We need to get together!

erin said...

These look awesome...though I am not surprised! Luc has comandeered the blanket that you made for Samuel (the sesame street number blanket) and cannot go to sleep without it. he carries it around if we let him (his banky). Fun to see your current projects!