Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Stubborn Child...part 2

Now for the update...

At practice tonight, we arrived about 15 minutes early, and I got in with him.  We splashed around some, and actually swam a length of freestyle and backstroke, with no problem.  But boy, that is one long pool when you're only 3' 8" tall.  It takes a lot of strokes to get from one end to the other.

He made it through practice, with me swimming beside him the whole way.  He followed the coaches instructions, and was actually asked to demonstrate how to do backstroke kicking.  He was the only one of the 6 & under boys who could do it without sinking!

By the end of the 30 minute practice, he was exhausted and broke down crying halfway through his last lap.  We were both freezing...it was 60 degrees with a howling wind, so even though the water was relatively warm, it was frigid for any part of our body outside the water.  Tomorrow should be warmer, and I'm hopeful that his confidence has been boosted enough to try again.  I'm not ready to place any bets yet...stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these updates. Jack is one strong willed kid! He makes up his mind about something and doesn't let anyone change it. He reminds me of myself when I was little. He'll grow out of it in about 20 years or so. Maybe. =o) He's a keeper though! I love that you got in with him and swam. You're the best mom!