Thursday, May 8, 2008

The worst part of motherhood...(don't read if you're prone to queasiness)

I've been very lucky the past almost 9 years.  None of my kids have been "barfers".  I've never had to clean up vomit...until today. 
 
I went to bed late last night, about 11:30.  I decided to read for a few minutes before going to sleep (I was finishing Nicholas Spark's "At First Sight").  Well I got engrossed in the book, and was nearing the end, so decided to go ahead and finish it.  It has a rather dramatic, emotional ending, and being the big cry baby I am, I ended up sobbing uncontrollably as I finished.  I couldn't very well go to sleep then because I couldn't breathe, so I turned on The Tonight Show for a few minutes to get my mind of the book.  I turned off the TV at about 12:35.  I had just drifted off to sleep when I heard a strange sound...like someone was pouring a bucket of water on the floor.  I sat up, turned on the light on my night stand and saw Olivia, standing in the doorway, throwing up all over the white carpet in our room.  I was completely frozen, and had no idea what to do.  I got up, and proceeded to walk into my closet, put my robe on and then stand there and stare at her...all the while, she was spewing.  Walls, door, and a 4' radius area were covered.  I finally snapped to action and ran and got a towel, but it was too late to do any good.  She was done by that point.  

I guided her into her bathroom, and started chastising her for coming to my room down the hall, rather than the bathroom right outside her bedroom door.  That was probably not the best approach to take, but I was not thinking of her feelings at that moment...I was thinking of the mess on my carpet.  

After getting Olivia cleaned up, I did the best I could to get the chunks off the floor, then covered it with a wet towel and went back to bed about 2am.  This morning, at sunrise, I was greeted by the wonderful aroma of vomit.  What a great way to begin the day. 
 
It is now moderately clean - I spent about an hour on my hands and knees scrubbing, then borrowed a friend's steam cleaner to finish it off.  I think the smell is gone.  

For Mother's Day, I think I'm requesting new carpet.

No comments: