Friday, July 18, 2008

Why I Love Sex & The City


I have been a fan of this show since I saw the entire "edited" version on TBS a few years back. I loved the characters, and looked forward to each and every episode. While I didn't necessarily approve of the morals and values portrayed, I looked beyond that to the relationships between the 4 main characters - Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte.

Last night, I saw the movie in the theater for the second time. And at the end, I cried. I cried...because the friendship between these 4 women stood the test of time. Through good times and bad, relationships and single-hood, they stuck together, no matter what.

It got me thinking about my friendships through the years. I had some great friends growing up, and I keep in contact with a few - mostly with Christmas cards and the occasional email or visit when I go to Oregon. I have some great friends now. And I know they would drop anything and come to my aid if I needed them. But I sometimes long for a friend with whom I've shared various stages of life.

A few years back, I read an amazing book, titled "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons". I not only loved the title (who wouldn't?), but I loved the story - about a group of women who went through 3 decades of life together and the friendship that they shared.

I know that I am in a stable phase of life right now - no moves in the foreseeable future and no more babies demanding my time and body. I feel like I have a bit more to give to friends right now, and look forward to the years ahead, where I can develop the type of friendship that I've longed for and envied for some time.

While I don't see myself cruising the streets of Manhattan looking for love, I hope that 40 years from now, I can look back on my life and smile at the friendships that have stood the test of time.

2 comments:

The DeVito's said...

Wow! We do have a connection, I could have written this post.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen an episode. I never watched it from the beginning and I never knew what was going on when the re-runs would come on. I'm glad you love it though. You're such a cry baby!! =o) I love that about you.