Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Super Girl & The Supernumerary

Several months ago during a consultation with the orthodontist, it was discovered that Olivia had a "Supernumerary" - in other words, an extra tooth - in the roof of her mouth.  After a few months of monitoring it's growth, it was determined that it needed to come out, as it was beginning to put some pressure on the roots of some permanent teeth.  Because of the location of the tooth, her age, and the complexity of the procedure, it was decided that Olivia should be put to sleep for the extraction.


We arrived at 8am at the Oral Surgeon's office.  Olivia was so brave...and went right back on her own when her name was called.  I was left to sit and wait in the waiting room.

Forty-five minutes later, the assistant came out and told me that surgery was over, and Olivia was still sleeping.  She then told me that Olivia was the bravest, most polite patient she'd ever had - more so than most of the teenage patients they saw!  She didn't cry with the IV insertion, and said "please" and "thank you", and was completely cooperative.  I was a happy mommy.

About 30 minutes later, they told me she was ready to go home.  I pulled my car around, and walked through the back door.  There was my baby girl, sitting there all alone, with a piece of gauze hanging out of her mouth.  When she saw me, she started to cry for the first time all morning.  That of course, made me start to cry.  I'm a sap.

This was the culprit...isn't that crazy?

The tooth fairy made a special trip to our house last night, leaving $5.00 instead of the usual $1.00.  I guess she figured the additional pain and hassle was worth a few extra bucks.


3 comments:

Ashley said...

And that story almost made me cry! You are a sweet mom, and she is a doll. Crazy tooth!

Anonymous said...

What a big girl!! Tell Olivia I'm so proud of her. That does take a lot of guts. It was so touching when you said you both cried at the end. It made me tear up. Too cute.

Laura said...

What a brave girl! I would have cried just having the IV put in!