Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The day my life changed forever

Eleven years ago today marked the end of life as I knew it . . . and the beginning of a whole new life for me. Eleven years ago today, I became a mother.

Olivia's birth was an adventure—I was 11 days past my due date, and scheduled for an induction early on the 25th. My mom had been in town since my due date, and was nearing the end of her two week stay. I was panicked. How would I know what to do on my own?

In the wee morning hours, I woke up with a cramp that wouldn't quit. It didn't take long before I realized that it wasn't a cramp, but rather a contraction and I wasn't going to have to be induced after all—I was in labor!

We arrived at the hospital around 6am. I was gung ho on going natural, so we spent the next few hours going b from bed to shower to rocking chair to walking the halls and back to bed, all the while trying to breathe. It hurt like heck.

My mom and Steve's mom were both with us for her birth.

About 11am, I decided I couldn't take anymore. I was dilated to a 5 and thought I had hours ahead of me. My midwife approved a quick-acting narcotic to ease the pain. Within minutes, I was floating in another stratosphere. Minutes later, I suddenly snapped out of my drug induced coma and said it was time to push. Sure enough, it was. A couple of quick contractions later, and out popped this little beauty.


She had the softest, sweetest little cry, and all the nurses commented on it.

The days following her birth are a bit of a blur. We learned how to give her a bath, breastfeed, burp, do midnight diaper changes in the dark, and get by on not nearly enough sleep.

We also learned how it felt to love someone more than life.


The eleven years since have been filled with lots more learning as we've navigated the road of parenthood.

Today, Olivia is a beautiful and exceptional young woman.


In honor of her special day, here are eleven facts about her:

1. She is always happy. Well, maybe not always...but almost. When she laughs, it's contagious.


2. She is remarkably capable. I could leave her in charge and run off to Vegas for the weekend. The house would be clean, the boys fed and bathed, and she'd probably rearrange the pantry while I was gone too.

3. She is super smart. She grasps math concepts as quickly as her dad. Glad she didn't get my genes in that department.

4. She loves her brothers. Even though they sometimes drive her nuts, her eyes light up when she sees them at the end of the school day.

5. She is musically gifted. She can sing, play the piano, and last year took up the flute. Our home is filled with music when she's around.

6. She thinks about her future. Last night, she asked about college scholarships. She said she thought it would be good for her to work toward getting one, because it would make her feel proud.

7. She gives great back rubs. Her business "Olivia's Rub Place" is open for business at our house. Steve is her number 1 customer. Most months, she more than doubles her allowance by giving back rubs.

8. She gets more beautiful every day.


9. She doesn't let fears get to her. Whether it's crushing a spider or singing in front of a huge audience, she faces her fears and conquers them.

10. She likes to be organized. She takes after me, and loves containers, sorting, grouping, and organizing everything!

11. No matter what, she will always be the one that made me a mom!



Happy Birthday Olivia—you are a joy to us every single day. We love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday Olivia! Wow I can not believe she's 11! Time sure does fly on by. That was the sweetest post for the sweetest girl. She's gorgeous!

The DeVito's said...

Happy Birthday Olivia!! She's beautiful! You are right, she is the most capable girl I have ever known. Does she want to come organize my house? I'll double her allowance!

emily, etc, etc said...

She was a beautiful newborn - not many are, but she absolutely was! What a darling girl she is still - happy birthday Olivia!