Monday, August 16, 2010

17 Again? I don't think so...


High school was a rough time for me. I was insecure, had no idea who I was or what I wanted out of life. I had plenty of friends, but didn't associate with any particular "clique". On numerous occasions, I didn't stand up for what I believed to be right, simply because I didn't have the personal strength or conviction to set myself apart from the crowd.

I didn't apply myself as much as I should have academically, which then impacted my ability to get into college. I went through all the rehearsals for the high school Rhythm B's dance team, then chickened out on audition day . . . because "what if I didn't make it?". I dated boys who didn't bring out the best in me, because I didn't believe in that "best of me". All in all, I don't have great memories of high school, and if I could do it all over again, I would do things entirely differently. But alas, there are no do-overs in life.

The 20 years since high school have been a time of tremendous personal growth and change for me. I am not the same person I was when I graduated. Although in many ways I can't believe it's been 20 years, in other ways, that seems like a different life altogether.

Over the weekend, I attended my 20th high school reunion. I flew up to Portland sans hubby and kids, and met up with a good buddy from 7th grade on through graduation. Neither one of us were attending with spouses, and we didn't want to walk in alone. We met up with a couple other friends for some "liquid courage" before the event began. I had a Diet Coke.


It was great catching up with so many people I used to know. I was amazed at how different so many were, and how some seemed still exactly the same.

As the evening progressed, it became more and more apparent how some of my classmates had not made the most of their life opportunities in the years since graduation. Many were crowded around the bar all night, drinking to the point of stupidity. Some who showed the most promise in high school have wasted the years since in silly shenanigans, never reaching their full potential.

Still others, who were perhaps misfits and outcasts 20 years ago, have gone on to great things. I spent a good portion of the evening talking to a few of those, marveling at how they had changed, grown, and matured. While they may not have been part of the "cool" crowd then, their choices in the years since have put them at the top of the food chain now!

As a rule, the women seemed to have aged better than the men.

(I went all the way from elementary school through graduation with these two!)

I didn't recognize many of the men, who had gained weight and lost their hair, and didn't even resemble the stud muffins they used to be.

I saw my first high school boyfriend, Jonah Elliott. We went out for about 2 months at the beginning of our sophomore year.

Here we both are...aged, and happy with where our lives have taken us!

He was, and still is, absolutely adorable. He is now happily married with a little boy.

The highlight of my evening was a conversation with a casual friend who lived in my neighborhood. He pulled me aside midway through the reunion. Here's how the conversation went:

Him: "You know, we went to school together all the way from grade school through graduation. You flew under the radar in high school. You kept to yourself, you were cute . . . but not really a stand out."

Me: "Uh huh..." (All the while thinking to myself, "where the heck is this conversation going?")

Him: "But I remember saying Junior year 'That Alyson DeLong is going to grow up to be the hottest girl in our class'. And seeing you here tonight, you've proved me right. You have aged beautifully, and you look happy, and it shows."

He wasn't hitting on me—he's happily married with a family of his own. But the fact that he took the time to pull me aside and pay me that greatest of compliments meant the world to me.

And he's right. All things considered, I think I look pretty good for 20 years out of high school. I know who I am, I'm better at sticking up for what's right and not giving in to the majority just to fit in. I'm married to an amazing man, who thinks I'm great. And after all these years, I tend to agree with him!

5 comments:

Grammie Star Wars said...

What a fun time with old friends, mostly being reminded that life has been fabulous to you.

What a special reminder that many people are watching us under the radar.

;.)

Anonymous said...

I must be rusty after 20 years... I was totally hitting on you!

ok.. you're right I wasn't.

I am very happy my compliment made an impression on you. It amazes how powerful a compliment can be, and how well they remind us that we're all special to someone!

It was great seeing you and being spot on in my prediction.

You and your family are beautiful.. congratulations!

- CR

The DeVito's said...

Glad you had a good time! We are going to frank's 30th in the fall and I'm scared about that!

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful post Alyson. I loved hearing about it first hand of course, but I love reading what you write - you do have a way with words.

I love that our high school years were VERY similar. I feel like I wasted 4 years - not being the person that I could have been. I was a slacker, loner, loser and didn't push myself to really succeed. I hope that I can go to my 20 year reunion and look back as you have - seeing how you've grown, succeeded, and made your life into something wonderful.

And .. you DO look DANG good! =o)

Jenny said...

I just went to my 20th too! Same thing - the women all looked great and I had a hard time recognizing most of the men! It was so interesting to see those who had made something of themselves and those who hadn't. Loved your post!