Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Musical Matresses

By day, my kids love to drive each other crazy.  Lately, they've been picking on each other incessantly.  Tattle-taling, bickering, hitting, biting, screaming, whining....and lots of time outs and scolding.

But when bedtime rolls around, the mood does a complete flip, and all three kids want to sleep together.  Either in the same room, or preferably the same bed.  All three have twin size beds.  Three wiggly, night-kicking kids in a twin size bed just doesn't work (though they've tried it). 

Some nights, Olivia sleeps in Jack's bed:


Some nights, Jack and Grant sleep on the trundle in Olivia's room:

(The flash on my camera makes it look like broad daylight...it's really late at night and not posed, I promise!)

I resist it at times.  When they all sleep together, they all wake up together.  Which is sometimes earlier than desired.  

But then, I remind myself that at some point in the not-so-distant future, they 1) really won't fit in a single bed and 2) will be irritated by each other around the clock.  So I'm giving in, and letting them snuggle and dream together in the hopes that their nighttime closeness in dreamland will carry over to more closeness and kindness in their waking hours as well.  (Not to mention, there's fewer beds to make in the morning!)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this- Ask Holly we used to all sleep together in a twin bed too.

Jenny said...

I'm glad mine are not the only ones fighting and bickering so much lately (alhtough I'm sorry you are going through it too) Does it just get worse as they get older? I'm going crazy?

Ashley said...

So, so sweet! I remember when my little brother used to always want to sleep with me. Thank goodness that's not the case anymore.

The Knutsen Family said...

Fewer beds to make......you're always thinking aren't you?!