Sunday, April 26, 2009

The High Price of Entertainment

The kids and I love going to the movies.  There's just something about the big screen, buttery popcorn and loud acoustics that make the experience so much fun.

A recent trip to see Monsters vs. Aliens in 3-D made me re-think our movie habit.  Usually when we go to the movies, it's mid-week when school is out and we go to an early afternoon matinee.  I didn't realize that on weekends, the matinee price ends at 1:59.   We were at the 2:15 showing.  The 4 tickets just to get in the door set us back $47.50 (there was a surcharge for the 3-D glasses).  That was the first "ouch".  Then we went to the concession line, bought a large popcorn, a couple of drinks and some M&M's.  That came to $23.75.



The sight of the kids in their 3-D glasses was one I didn't want to forget - especially Grant.  He looks like he belongs in a cartoon.

Grand total for 1 1/2 hours of entertainment - $71.25.  Was it worth it???  I don't think so.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Dang! I hope the movie was good!?!

Ryan and Renee said...

Ouch! That is a lot. I bet the kids had fun though

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad they all stayed awake for it. When you had said Grant might fall asleep and then it would have been "an expensive nap." that just cracked me up. Well.. you already know what I had to say about this. "That'll teach ya!" =o)

5 ibarras said...

I know how you feel....but a tug-of-war for me. it's definitely a pretty penny to take the family to the movies, but it's so hard not to when the kids enjoy it so much (and so do we :) we usually end up just going to the ones we REALLY want to see on the big screen and leave the others for when they come out on DVD.