Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Going Green

Over the past few months, and especially weeks, I've been trying to be more ecologically aware.  Recycling more, dumping food waste in my "green" bin, planting a garden so we can eat our own "organic" vegetables.

I have a few friends who cry praises to starting their day off with a "green" smoothie.  There's even a website devoted to them.  Somehow a green smoothie, made with spinach, kale, chard, etc. just didn't sound appetizing to me.  But I know the nutritional value of those green veggies, and as the mother of a little guy who refuses to eat anything green, I was willing to give it a try.

Grant loves smoothies - and it's a way for me to get him to eat his daily allotment of fruit, since he otherwise resists.

Yesterday morning, I dumped the usual fruit in my Vita-Mix - frozen strawberries, pineapple, mango, papaya, a fresh banana, some low-sugar yogurt and fresh orange juice.  Then, I threw in a handful of spinach.  I turned the blender on and watched it come to life.


When it was all blended and smooth, I poured it into cups with lids and straws and passed them out to the kids.  They didn't know what I'd put in, and couldn't see the color.  They loved it!  The spinach was mild enough that it didn't give too strong of a flavor, it just added a little richness.  And a whole lot of nutrients.  I think this will be a new morning staple around here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow .. good thing you put them in cups with lids. I wouldn't drink it if I had to look at it. =o) My mom's a huge fan of the green smoothie. It's a good idea! I need to start doing that.

Kayelynn said...

We love our Vita-Mix! Good idea to sneak in some greens. I like to pour any leftover smoothie into homemade popsicle molds. So yummy later in the backyard!

Heather said...

I am so excited that you tried it! Looking at the consistancy of your smootie makes me really want a Vita-Mix!