Friday, November 14, 2008

Battery Charging


My mom's husband David believes there are two types of people in this world:  Battery Chargers and Battery Drainers.  

Battery Chargers are those people who leave you feeling full, content, uplifted and joyful.  They are the ones you call when you're feeling down because even though they can't fix it all, they will help you see that things really aren't that bad.

Battery Chargers are the opposite - they drain your emotional tank and leave you feeling empty.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately.  In my everyday life, I come across both types on an almost daily basis.

I attended a "focus group" on Tuesday night, where I participated in a discussion about our utility service.  How can that be an emotional situation, you're asking yourself, right?  Of the 7 of us in the room, plus the moderator, there were two people there who were obvious battery drainers.  Every topic that was brought to the table was met with resistance and negativity.  The most interesting part of the 90 minutes (aside from the $85 they paid me) was watching the group dynamics.  And not letting it get to me.

I try and surround myself with battery chargers.  As I do so, I feel my emotional tank swell to overflowing capacity.  And when a friend calls and wants to talk, or needs advice, or needs help, or just needs to "be", I do my best to respond in such a way that I can fill their battery in return.

No comments: