Sunday, August 3, 2008

Does this thing have a volume button?

Growing up, we had a family "mantra" - a set of rules that my brothers and I were afraid to break, for we knew the consequences would be harsh.  We had these rules memorized, and I was called on more than once by my parents to recite them...perhaps as a pre-cursor to any punishment that might have been in store.

So, what were these rules, you ask?  Here we go:

"Calm, relaxed and quiet.  No running, 
no jumping, and always tell the truth."  

That was it.  Nothing about cleaning my room, weeding the garden, taking out the trash.  Instead, the rules directly oppose all things related to childhood.  With the exception of the "always tell the truth" - that one I stand behind.

Now, here I am with my own family.  I have 3 active kids.  Kids who sometimes don't know the meaning of "calm, relaxed and quiet", and who are incapable of anything BUT running and jumping.  

Grant was born without a volume adjustment.  He only has one noise level, and that is LOUD.  Even when he's not screaming, he seems to be yelling.  Perhaps it's the fact that he's child #3, and as such, has to work harder to have his needs heard and met.  Whatever the reason, today has been one of those days where I wish I could turn off the sound.

It started the moment we sat down in church.  He immediately started asking for a "doot nack" - he's smart enough to know that I bring a fruit snack to help distract him and keep him quiet before he goes to nursery.  When I quietly whispered that it wasn't time for the fruit snack, he proceeded to get louder and louder, until he was doing a combination of yelling and growling "DOOT NACK".  I pulled out the goldfish instead, which kept him quiet for all of about 3 minutes.  I then gave in and gave him the fruit snack, which he promptly devoured and then began yelling for more.  


I love his ability to communicate.  I love that he's beginning to say words that I can actually understand.  I love that he's so smart he remembers when he gets a fruit snack, and knows how to work me to get his way.  I love how he smiles and says "TEEEEEESSSSSEEEEE" (Please) even after I've said no, and then I have to give in because he's so cute, not to mention polite.

I think the best solution might be to invest in a good pair of ear plugs.



3 comments:

The DeVito's said...

My nephew is the same way! In fact, my sister's entire family only has one volume. Our house was really loud for a few days last week.
I'm glad I could inspire you. We'll see how long it lasts.

Kayelynn said...

Let me know if you find a volume button...we need one at our house, too! Cute blog! Your kids are adorable and I love the superhero room! You are amazing! Have fun riding bikes!

Anonymous said...

The "Doot Nack" is THE funnist thing ever. It cracked me up on Sunday. He's a keeper regardless of how loud he is. =o)