Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Two Soon...


Grant turned 2 on Friday, which seems impossible to me.  I feel like he should have just celebrated his first birthday.  Somehow his babyhood has escaped me, and I am left with an adorable toddler, in the throes of temper tantrums, potty training, language learning and not nearly enough cuddles.

We celebrated his birthday while camping at Pismo Beach.  
His birthday cake came complete with a good coating of sand. 
 
And with no running water, cleaning him up after he was done was no easy task.

His language is improving daily - and he says the funniest things.

First thing in the morning, Jack says "Grant, how was your good night sleep?"  To which Grant answers "Dood" (good) and then says "Jack dood night seep too?"  (Jack good night sleep too).  It's adorable.

When I say "I love you", he answers back "I yuv you".

The classic lately has been whenever I ask where daddy is.  Grant replies "Daddy work.  Dune duggy.  Geg house." (Translated Daddy work, dune buggy, Greg's house - can you tell where a lot of Steve's time has been spent lately?)

I can understand about 60% of what he says, and the other 40% I just have to guess.  I know that soon enough, I'll be understanding everything and the "Grant-ese" will be a thing of the past.

Grant has lots of favorites right now:  Sesame Street (more commonly known as "Big Bird") is the program of choice, and thanks to Video-On-Demand is available at all hours.  I think this is where Grant has learned to count to 11, sing his ABC's and sing "The Wheels On The Bus".  I don't think I've taught him a single thing.

He is a bit of a picky eater, and I trick him into eating fruits and vegetables by sneaking them into things.  His beverage of choice is "Taco Milk" (Chocolate milk) - which I try to limit to a couple of times a week.

Grant loves books, and will sit and page through them for quite a while.  He doesn't last too long when I try and read to him, but we can usually summarize the pages and make it through!

He gives wet, slobbery kisses.  He pats my back when he hugs me goodnight.  He gives love unconditionally. And while it will be many years before he understands how deeply he is loved, I think he has some idea.

No comments: