Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Doin' the Happy Dance!


Today was the first day of school - Olivia in 4th grade, and Jack in Kindergarten.  


I woke up early, and laid in bed for a while, thinking back on my own first days of school...seems not all that long ago.  Then I had to get up and dressed, and pack snacks/lunches and make sure backpacks were ready to go, filled to the brim with new school supplies.


Jack did great, and I did too.  I fully expected to shed a bucket of tears (those of you who know me well know that I am a HUGE crybaby).

 
As he lined up on the snake and we followed him in to class, I felt a few tears beginning.  But as I watched him sit quietly in his spot on the carpet, and listen to Mrs. Rad (his teacher), I knew that my job to this point was complete.  And all I felt was happiness.

When I picked him up, he had a huge smile on his face and when I asked how his first day was, he exclaimed "GREAT!" I couldn't be happier.

Now I have 3 1/2 hours alone with Grant each morning, which I will treasure.  
And in 3 years when Grant goes to school, I'm certain that I'll fill the bucket that was left empty today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - I love this post! Time sure does fly by. I can't believe Jack is in Kindergarten. I love the picture of his backpack on the ground all by itself. Don't even talk about our kids going to school. There's no way my child will ever be old enough for kindergarten. I think she'll turn 2 and be that way FOREVER!

The DeVito's said...

I love your cartoon and the picture of the backpack! Let's get together for lunch sometime, now that school has started maybe life will slow down a little bit.