Thursday, June 11, 2009

My New Voice


When I started this blog a little over two years ago, it was mainly to serve as a “journal” of our family life. I wanted friends and family to be able to see what we were up to, and see pictures of kids as they grew.

As time went on, I discovered that I really enjoyed writing—sure, most of my entries had to do with the daily ins and outs of life with three kids. But there was something more as well. It was an opportunity for me to find my “voice” and express myself and tell the stories about what makes me, ME!


When Steve and I went to Yosemite last fall for our anniversary, one night at dinner we started talking about our hopes, dreams, and goals for the future. I mentioned that I’d like to try and do some writing—more than just about what funny thing one of the kids said or did on any given day (although that is still the center of my world!).


About two months ago, the writing bug started nagging me again, and I started thinking about how to pursue this ambition. The following week, I was sitting at Jack’s swimming lesson and happened to pick up a copy of the “Tri-City Voice”, a local newspaper that is published weekly. I had never really read the paper before that day, but for some reason felt compelled to pick it up. On the very last page was a request for writers—the paper was looking for writers to cover local stories and newsworthy topics in a fun and interesting way.


I went home, told Steve about it, and decided to go for it! I put together a resume, pulled some writing samples off my blog and faxed it off. I didn’t hear anything for almost a month, and had just about put it out of my mind. And then one day, the phone rang. It was an editor from the “Tri-City Voice”, telling me how much she enjoyed my writing, and asking if I was still interested. 


She gave me an assignment for an “evaluation article”, I put it together and sent it in, and they loved it! I am now officially on-staff as a writer for the paper, and my first article came out in today’s edition.

 



You can read it online here.  I submitted my second article today, which should be printed next week.


Steve won’t be quitting his job anytime soon . . . at my current writing pace I’m making pennies an hour. But I expect to get faster, and I’ll learn how to maximize my time to make it worthwhile.


I don’t expect to win any Pulitzer Prizes for my writing . . . at least not yet. But it is the start of rediscovering me, and doing something that benefits me, and my community.


And who knows? Today, a writer for the Tri-City Voice, tomorrow Oprah’s Book Club!

11 comments:

wanda said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is so great.

Ashley said...

That's so cool. I am so proud of you! I totally relate about finding a bit of myself through blogging and loving the writing. How great that it's helped you reach one of your goals--one that makes money and could open many future doors! Keep linking to your articles--your first one was fabulous.

Kayelynn said...

We liked your article, Alyson! You have inspired us to update our kits that still have baby food and diapers in them. Haha! But first, we'll be dusting off our 8 gallon water containers and filling those puppies up!

Stephanie said...

That is awesome! Way to go! You should be very pround!

Anonymous said...

I loved the article! It was wonderful. I can't wait to read your book for Oprah's Book Club! I'm sure it'll be inspirational. =o) I'm glad you have found time to do something for yourself. It's so important to find time to do that. As we have children, that becomes our lives and I find that I've already forgotten who I am. You've inspired me to set goals and do something just for me.

5 ibarras said...

This fits you to a "T"! I've always been impressed with the way you have with words and I can't wait to read your articles as they are published!!! Congrats!

Lea said...

That is so awesome Alyson, Can I trade lives with you for a day or two?, yours seems so exciting!

The DeVito's said...

Congratulations! What a great article!!

Ryan and Renee said...

That is so great! How fun to see your words published!

emily, etc, etc said...

I think that is so great! I am so impressed that you went for it let alone succeeded. You've inspired me to actually think that some of my own ambitions may happen someday (perhaps when I out of the newborn baby stage). Great job and keep us posted of how it is going!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you. Not at all surprised that you could do it, just totally proud!