Monday, June 22, 2009

The New Look

Over the weekend, I got my hair done. Back to my almost natural color, with just a few highlights. I haven't been my natural color since Steve has known me. I've always been nearly blonde. The style is much more modern, with no more flip-up and poofiness (I liked to call it cobra hair). When it was done, and all styled, I loved it and thought it looked amazing. I couldn't wait for Steve to see it!

I came home to an extremely unhappy husband who was fed up with a cluttered house and a rebellious 5-year old. He didn't mention the hair. I jumped in to help with the pick-up process and deal with the insolent Jack. Steve still didn't mention the hair. We went to a friend's graduation party, no hair talk.

Sunday was Father's Day. I got up, made breakfast, the kids and I presented him with his cards and gift. He still didn't mention the hair. We went to church, came home, I cleaned the garage, he took a nap, and still, no mention of the hair.

Then, we went out to dinner. I took Olivia to the bathroom, and when we came back, I sat down and said "Every time I see myself in a mirror, I do a double take. I almost don't recognize myself!" Steve looked at me, with a totally straight face, and said "Me too."

I then said "So I take it you don't like the color so much?" And he said, "It will take some getting used to. I think I like it better lighter."

I thought that was that. And then he said "What's up with the cut? It looks really choppy, like it doesn't blend right."

I looked at him and said "Well, that's sort of the style right now, and she was trying to update my look a bit."

And he looked at me, with a totally serious face, and said "Since when is it in style to look like a homeless person?" I swear, that is exactly what he said.

Here's the hairstyle - not as cute as when the hairdresser styled it, but you can still get the idea.

(Looking at this picture, my face looks way rounder than I'm hoping it does in real life...Olivia was behind the camera, and trying to just get a straight picture took several tries. Regardless of whether it's real or imagined, it's time to jump back on the fitness bandwagon, I'm afraid!)

It's a good thing that I know deep down Steve is really crazy about me...and it's just hair, right? In another 6-8 weeks, who knows what I'll look like!

11 comments:

Ashley said...

First of all, the hair looks great! The color makes your eyes pop and the cut has a real style--something I long for. But I totally related to this post--Steve could have been substituted for Tyler. I cut my hair short and dyed it brown back when I lived in Fremont. Huge change, right? I was hoping for a little encouragement. But his response was like unto Steve's. I think men--at least the engineer type--can totally separate their love for us from their honest critique of our looks. That doesn't mean that I want to hear it! I also think guys have a hard time with change, at least change of their wife's hair. That's unfortunate bc I see hair as our greatest accessory with the potential the change with the seasons. I have just discovered I'm happier in life if I accept that Tyler loves me no matter what matter of fact statements he makes about my appearance. Sorry for the long comment--hold that brown head high--it's hot!

Kayelynn said...

I love your haircut AND color! Don't worry for one minute because it looks really good!

5 ibarras said...

Al, i SO admire your confidence and control, or maybe it's your security with your self. i have to admit, if angel had made the comment about looking like a homeless person, i might have had a real problem with that and let it be known. that being said, i LOVE your cut and color! it's always nice to change it up and do something different, and like you said, it's only hair!

Evelyn said...

I love it and your face doesn't look even close to that round in real life! Frank knows better than to say something like that to me, you are a stronger woman than I. I would have cried!

BTW, this is Holly, not Evelyn!

Anonymous said...

I really love it dark. I've never seen your hair that dark before. It's gorgeous on you. I came home from my hair appt. on Saturday and Wesley said he liked my color, but that it looked like Dominee had taken INCHES off, after I told him she just trimmed it. He hates when I cut my hair. I always have to say, "I need to get my hair trimmed." If I say "cut" he goes crazy. Boys will be boys. It's your hair - you're the one that has to do it every day. Do what you want with it. I love it. You are strong though. I agree with Holly - I probably would have cried if Wes told me I looked homeless. You're amazing!

Heather said...

I love the hair! I had to do a double take when I saw you at church, but I like. In a few weeks when it grows a bit, it will be nice to not see a TON of growth in the roots! I love the modern cut on you. BTW your face does not look that round in real life.

Beth said...

Alyson, I think your hair looks great. I went back to brown hair about 9 months ago. I was really surprised how people freaked out about it--but give it time. Everyone gets used to it. AND in the end, I think I look better most of the time because there are no noticeable roots. I was really glad I stuck with it.
Beth (Hna Craig)

Jenny said...

I think the brown suits you great since that's all I've ever known you with! I always thought it looked great! I love your cut - it does look very updated. At least he noticed it and just didn't say anything since he didn't like it. Dave never even notices when I get my hair cut until someone else mentions something. I remember growing up my dad never wanted my mom to cut her hair short and whenever she did it always looked so cute but he never liked it. Men and hair - funny subject. And I'm sorry but that homeless comment had me ROFL! You are so great to let it roll off your back.

Jenny said...

And Hna Craig!!! I just saw your comment at the bottom. Hi! Email me! djerard_ca@yahoo.com(sorry Alison to be using your blog as a hook up tool :) Hmna Howton

emily, etc, etc said...

I actually really like it. I always think darker is better (even though I go crazy with highlights) and I like the choppy cut. I love the comment about the homesless person. Classic! Change is always good I think (but then again, I change my hair a lot).

Anonymous said...

I love your hair! I know its sometimes a little hard to get used to change and new fresh looks I have always had long hair and I cut mine off to an "a line bob" came home when my boyfriend freaked just like your husband did. It has grown some and now he has learned to accept that hair grows but most of all I learned to accept it doesnt matter what other people think as long as i like it and I feel beautiful in it.

So you hold your head up high and wear that hair girl!

Samantha at TwoHeartsTogether
www.twoheartstogether.com