Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our Contributions are Over (well, almost!)

For the past nearly 10 years, our family has been making regular contributions to the landfills in the form of stinky, icky, dirty diapers. Now, I can safely and securely say that those days are over!

After months of on-again, off-again potty-training, I finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and get down to business. It didn’t happen overnight. We had a lot of these:



I’m glad we haven’t yet replaced our awful carpet, as it has acquired several new stains over the past few weeks. Now, we have an additional $30-$40 a month to spend on something a whole lot more fun than diapers . . . like new carpet!

We're still using a pull-up at night, but I'm okay with that, and know those will be unnecessary soon enough!

I still have a small backpack in the car with a change of clothes—just in case, but it has only been used a couple of times, and mostly for spills in the car.

I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment in having raised three kids past the point of diapers. I realize that the worst is yet to come.

But for now, I’ll bask in the diaper-free home, and relish the new-found independence!

3 comments:

Ryan and Renee said...

Isabel is about 90% potty trained and I can't even begin to express the joy of no diapers for a few months. I too carry extra clothes everywhere we go. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

That picture of Grant is hilarious. It just cracks me up. I love it. I have to say that potty training Mallory was an absolute breeze and I can't believe we didn't do it sooner. It's the best! I'm SO done contributing to the landfills .. until September that is. =o)

emily, etc, etc said...

Ahhhhh! The mom in that comic sounds just like me - only I hadn't thought about the next phase of life beyond diapers. Maybe I will bask in the innocent glow of stinky bums for just a little longer if it means I don't have to worry about dating issues :)