Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Sharks Rule!

I sometimes ask myself why I sign the kids up for extra-curricular activities.  It's a great inconvenience having to drag myself out of bed at 6:00 on a Saturday morning to pack a cooler, get myself dressed, make sure all goggles and towels are in the swim bag and get 3 kids dressed and out the door by 6:30 to a swim meet.  

Jack was slated to swim in 2 events - the 25m freestyle, and the 100m boys freestyle relay team. In other words, the first and last event of the meet. Olivia was to swim 4 events, spread throughout the entire meet. Considering each 25m takes approximately 30 seconds to swim, we were there to watch about 3-4 minutes of action. In 4 hours.

Eating donuts was a great way to warm up, after warm ups!


Jack put on his game face to get lined up for his first race.


Ready to go...just waiting for the starting bell.


And he jumps...and he swims...


And then she jumps...and she swims...



In between races, there was lots of time to kill. So Jack hid in his coat.  


Olivia played tricks while I tried to take pictures.


Steve answered emails on his BlackBerry, while Grant ate something chocolate.


Hair was spiked.


Lots of snacks were eaten (check out Grant with his "Smartfood" at 9:00 in the morning)


Jack met his team "swim buddies".



New confidence was gained, and displayed in giant ear to ear smiles.


Today marked some personal accomplishments for both kids...Olivia didn't stop when her goggles came off her eyes during her very first swim of the day on the medley relay team. She swam with them pinching her nose and cheeks the whole way, and gave it her all. Jack jumped in the water and swam (and not in the lane next to the wall!) with a super loud crowd cheering him on. He's not one who loves loud noises, or crowds, so this really was a huge feat for him!

Whenever I wonder if it really is all worth it, I think of the abilities and skills the kids gain from these experiences. We don't expect them to be professional athletes, or rocket scientists, or sing and dance on Broadway. But with each experience, new confidence is gained, and that belief in one's self is something that is vital to a lifetime of achievements...on any level. So I'll continue to wake up much before I'm ready, drive around way more than I'd probably choose to, and cheer my very loudest for each and every personal challenge and accomplishment, no matter how big or small.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would question 6am as well. That's a bit too early for me - considering I woke up today at 8am. I feel for ya. It is worth it though - seeing those kids and how much they have grown and the bonds that will be formed from friends and teamates - that's all that counts. How wonderful!

emily, etc, etc said...

That was so great and brought back a lot of swim team memories. I think it is great that you encourage them to grow like that. Well worth the hour or so less of sleep. Plus they both did such a great job and look so cute.