Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz!

For the last 3 months, Olivia has been rehearsing for her roles in the StarStruck Theatre production of The Wizard of Oz.  

Last night was opening night.  My dad flew in from Oregon for the occasion.  The play was amazing, the actors were so talented and the special effects were spectacular!  Olivia is in 2 scenes, as a munchkin and a poppy.  Watching her on stage made the months of craziness all worthwhile.  She was beautiful and I was proud!  Even my dad, who is not a big "Broadway" fan, let alone youth theatre, actually enjoyed the show and was smiling and laughing throughout.

Grandpa Kurt & Jack (along with class mascot Al, home with us for the weekend) waiting for the show to start.

Olivia, with 2 of her munchkin friends after the show 
(Liv's the one with the red hair!)

Grandpa Kurt with his girl

My little munchkin...all grown up!

After we dropped off Grandpa & Jack, Olivia and I headed out to La Pinata for the Opening Night cast party.  I would have just as soon gone straight to bed (it was 10:30, after all...), but Olivia was so enthusiastic and excited that I just couldn't say no.  So, I ate a basket of chips and salsa and watched her laugh with her friends, and realized that the small sacrifices we make (like not enough sleep) are building memories that will last her a lifetime.

She has 10 more shows over the next 2 weeks, and I'm sure we'll all be glad when it's over.  In the meantime, I'm becoming a pro at applying stage make up.  And Olivia is already planning next year's audition, so I have a feeling I'll be applying much more makeup and having many more sleep deprived nights in the years to come.  And I couldn't be happier.

Advertising note:  If you live in the area and would like to get tickets, don't delay...they're nearly sold out!  Visit the StarStruck Box Office to purchase online!

1 comment:

emily, etc, etc said...

nothing will be more fun for her through the years that being in shows! I loved it!!!! It is worth encouraging, especially if they are good, wholesome shows that she can be proud of. Plus she looks so cute in that outfit...