Saturday, January 10, 2009

Flushed Away...


Kids and toilets are not exactly a match made in heaven. Potty training aside, there is all sorts of trouble to be made in the bathroom. I have never been one to completely baby-proof the house. I just put dangerous things up out of reach. I've never been a fan of the toilet locks. I want to be able to use the toilet when I need to, without having to figure out how to open it up. Especially in the middle of the night. And before Grant came along, toilets were never a big attention-grabber.

In the past several months, we've had numerous toilet cloggings. Grant dumping the bathroom garbage in and flushing. Grant shoving an entire roll of toilet paper in and flushing. Toothbrushes & hairbrushes have gone for a dip. We've repeatedly scolded him and lectured him on the consequences of flushing things away.

On Thursday, the toilet paper holder mysteriously went missing. I didn't think much of it, until last night when Steve came down saying the toilet was really clogged, and was there a possibility that something was in there that didn't belong. Bingo! A light went on and all of a sudden, I knew where the paper holder was.

When Steve asked Grant if he had put anything in the toilet, he calmly said "Yes", like it was no big deal! After an hour of dis-assembling, unclogging and re-assembling, the kids' toilet was in working condition once again. Maybe those toilet locks aren't such a bad idea after all...

A couple of weeks back, in a heated conversation with Grant about his "naughty" behaviors, he adamantly insisted "I'm not naughty. I'm not naughty...I'm just wild." Truer words have never been spoken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it with kids and toilets? It's ridiculous. Mallory likes to put her babies on the toilet now. She says they have to go potty. I'm waiting for her to drop one in. That'll be a great day.

The other day I walked in on her in the bathroom (it was too quiet .. so I had to see what was going on) and she had pretty much the whole roll of toilet paper in the toilet. Goodness.

Ashley said...

That is the most hilarious quote ever! Max's thing right now is HANDS in the toilet--ewwww!

Jenny said...

I feel your pain. Ben seems to be a fan of the toilet as well and my other kids never paid much attention to it. The first time my new visiting teachers came to visit he came walking down the hall with the toilet brush in his mouth. I was soooo embarassed and it was sooo disgusting, I had to scrub him down mouth and all! I've since hid the toilet brush. For awhile I just kept the bathroom door locked and the key above it, and I try to keep my toilets super clean!