Monday, October 20, 2008

Just Do It...I Just Did!!!

Yesterday was the Nike Women's Marathon/Half-Marathon in San Francisco.  I've been training for the past several months, in preparation.  It's a world-famous race, and this year, they did a random lottery-style drawing to fill the 20,000 slots.  Miraculously enough, my name was one of the names picked!

The outside wall of NikeTown in Union Square was made pink, 
in honor of this race.

Up close, you could see that the pink wall held the names of 
every woman running...including mine!

My sister-in-law Kathy was planning on flying up and running as well, but had a last minute family emergency and was unable to come. My good buddy Kristi took her spot.

The race started at 7am in Union Square. We ran from Union Square, along The Embarcadero, through the Presidio, Chrissy Field, Golden Gate Park, and ended up at Baker's Beach. It was crowded!

The race is one of the largest of its kind, and is a huge supporter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Team In Training had a huge presence there (just look at all the purple TNT shirts in the photo!). Runners had the names and pictures of their loved ones on their shirts, some who had won and some had lost the battle against these blood diseases. It was emotional for me (I know, big surprise there!) as I was overcome with gratitude for my health and the health of my family.

One woman running had a big quote on her back saying "You think this is hard, try Chemo!"

Another shirt said "Someday I won't be able to do this.  But today is NOT that day!"

I ran hard and strong, even up the big hills.  I had rock music blasting on my iPod...pushing me every step of the way.

I ran across the finish line and was greeted by a hot firefighter in a tuxedo, who presented me with a wrapped blue Tiffany's box, containing my finishers medal!
I also got this super cute "Finisher" t-shirt.

Isn't that a cute necklace?  And it's from Tiffany's!

It was a great race, and I was happy to have a friend among the 20,000...


I know I said that after this race, I'd quit doing races and sit back and eat bon bons for a while. I'll take a few weeks off, that's for sure.  But I think that as long as I'm able, I'll keep pushing this body to do amazing things.  I'll do it for myself, and for all those women who want to, but can't.  Because I CAN JUST DO IT!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I love that there was a hot firefighter in a tux at the finish line. Now that's something to run for! Nice work, you inspire me.

The DeVito's said...

Good for you! I heard about this on the radio this morning. It would almost be worth the necklace and the firefighter!

emily, etc, etc said...

Wow, what an experience! I would love to do something like that. Great job and what a thrill!

Jaden said...

So proud of you!!! :)