Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Diagnosis

Yesterday afternoon, I took Olivia in to see our dentist for a follow-up appointment for the "bumps" in her mouth.  

Being prone to over-dramatize things, I was convinced she had some rare disease.  Of course, I didn't tell her that.  After a thorough examination and extensive probing, prodding and additional x-rays, the dentist informed us that the bumps were caused by her permanent teeth trying to push their way down in an over-crowded mouth.  I didn't believe him.

I came home, and immediately called my dad - the best dentist I know (he lives in Oregon, which makes it rather inconvenient for us to be his patients).  I explained the bumps to him, and before I could tell him what our dentist had told us, he interjected "Sounds like her permanent teeth are working their way down.  No big deal."

Hmmm...no big deal.  What do you know?

So, we can either leave them be, and once her teeth fall out in the next 12-18 months, they'll go away.  Or if the bumps are really bothering her, we can speed things up by pulling the teeth sooner.  Either way, she doesn't have a rare disease...just an over-crowded mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That girl has had more teeth problems. She needs a bigger mouth! =o) She has supernumeraries, permanent teeth gettin' in the way of baby teeth, braces to be had. My goodness. I'm sure (you) she'll be glad when she's all done with all that stuff. Glad you found out what the bumps were. Funny that you didn't call you dad in the first place. =o)