Thursday, June 26, 2008

When ye have done it unto one of the least of these thy brethren (or sisters)...


There's a reason that we are encouraged to serve in our church.  It makes us feel better.  

My day did not start out well.  I won't go into the endless details, but suffice it to say I was irritated, frustrated and mad.  

A good friend of mine's daughter is getting married tomorrow.  At her bridal shower earlier this week, I asked her if she needed help with anything for the wedding.  She said she'd let me know.

She called yesterday and asked if I'd help her make the base for the punch slushie.  No problem.  She showed up yesterday afternoon with 9 grocery bags, full of pineapple juice, orange juice, lemonade and 75 bananas.  Hmmm, I thought.  This ought to be interesting...

I got home this afternoon, and had a message on my machine asking if I might possibly be able to help her make some spice bars as well.  I hadn't started on the punch yet, and had a long list of other things that needed to be done.  But I could sense her need, and rather reluctantly (to myself, not to her...) agreed to help.  Again, she delivered the ingredients, pans and instructions.

I got started with the punch at about 3:00 this afternoon and mixed the last batch at 6:30.  My freezer is now packed full of the ziploc bags of punch. 

The 3rd of 4 batches of bars is now baking in the oven.  My house is filled with a yummy spice scent.  I still have to let them cool and make the glaze, but the end is in sight.

Miraculously enough, about halfway through the punch making, I noticed I wasn't feeling irritated anymore.  In fact, I felt joyful.  I wasn't irritated with my noisy, dirty kids.  I wasn't mad at my hubby.  I felt happy, and blessed to be able to help out a friend in a time of need.  

So next time I get mad or frustrated, rather than stew in it, I will find something I can do to help someone else, as it's the sure cure for the blues. 

3 comments:

Sara Liechty said...

I agree with you! There is nothing to cure depression or anger than to serve others! You are amazing! You inspire me!

Ashley said...

You are a saint!

The DeVito's said...

Wow! You are awesome! You are much nicer than me. I found your blog from Stefanie's.