Thursday, December 16, 2010

Our home for the holidays

It's been fun getting ready for Christmas in our new home. Somehow, even our same old decorations seem to have gained new life being in a new place.


We got a slightly bigger tree this year. When we got it home, it wouldn't fit in our old tree stand.

A new industrial-sized one was required. Steve had to use a sledge hammer to get it into the tree trunk.

I have no idea how we'll get it off when the holidays are over.

(Tree skirt is new this year, from Pottery Barn)

I bought the NOEL stocking holders years ago from Pottery Barn.


At the time, we only had Olivia. I couldn't imagine us having more kids than hangers. When Grant came along, I bought a cheapo snowflake from Target. I wish I'd have thought ahead and bought the PEACE set instead!

It looks so pretty at night!


The staircase garland was my big addition to our decor this year. It took several attempts to get it to look like I wanted, but in the end, I love it!


I was so excited to unpack my nativity this year. Last year was the first year we had it, and I had to pack it up before I was ready when we decided to put our house on the market last January. I walk by this dozens of times a day, and just love it!


Our family room mantle is huge. Everything appears dwarfed on it.


Especially this nativity.


But I love it all the same. It was the first nativity I bought after we got married. In spite of its simplicity, I just adore it, and it will always be special to me.

Steve was in charge of the yard. The pictures don't do it justice.


I love December. I love the Christmas music playing and the smell of cinnamon candles burning throughout the house. But come December 31, I'm done and don't get in my way as I'm packing up. You're likely to end up stuffed in a box in my attic.




6 comments:

Beth said...

Alyson
We have the same nativity and I love it so much. It makes me so happy every time I see it.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Your Home looks beautiful and you are ready for the holidays.

The DeVito's said...

It's beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person! I feel the same way about Christmas - I love the decorations but can't wait to pack them up on New Year's Day! I'm bugged this year because Santa has to come to our house after we get home so I can't take it down til the 7th. I might go crazy!

Stephanie said...

Your house looks lovely! I really like the banister. That's my favorite place to decorate in my house. And I think your Christmas card is wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Love all the decorations. Jealous of your nativity. I've been wanting one of those for years.

Love the banister. It turned out perfect!

Ashley said...

How have I not yet seen this post? Yes your house looked gorgeous and the banister garland is my favorite too--gorgeous and so festive! I bet it's all long gone by now though.