Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stress-free holiday baking

About 9 years ago, a friend of mine was telling me about these "Cookie in a jar" gifts she was making. It sounded perfect to me...I had a toddler in the house (yes, it was Olivia, if you can believe that!) and was not into watching the timer or thermometer for perfectly browned cookies or soft-ball stage candy.

They were a huge hit, and have been my gift to friends, teachers, etc. ever since! While I wish I could make and give one to every single person who happens upon my blog, that is simply an impossibility. So instead, I will share the "recipe" with you, and you can make your own...to give, or to keep and enjoy as your own!


Both the cookie recipe and brownie recipe require a 1 quart canning jar. I've discovered wide mouth is easier to fill than the standard, but either will work.

Cookies in a Jar
Makes 1 gift jar

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup quick cooking or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or holiday M&Ms

Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.

Layer ingredients in a 1-quart glass jar in the following order (bottom to top): granulated sugar, 1 cup chocolate chips, brown sugar, flour mixture, oats, and other chips last. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle each layer before adding the next one. The jar will be very full at the end!

Baking directions: Heat oven to 375. Empty contents of jar into a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter, 1 slightly beaten egg, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Stir until well mixed. Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!

Brownies in a Jar
Makes 1 gift jar

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup peanut butter chips, or chocolate chips (I tried mint & dark chocolate chips this year...yum!)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (I've also used peppermint chips or Andes mint pieces...you can get creative here!)

Layer ingredients in a 1 quart glass jar in the following order (bottom to top): sugar, cocoa, 1 cup chips, flour, baking powder, salt, 1/2 cup chips. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle each layer before adding next one. Attach baking directions.

Baking directions: Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 8x8x2 baking pan. Combine 1/2 cup melted and cooled butter and 2 slightly beaten eggs in a large bowl. Gently stir in jar contents. Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Enjoy!

I like to get creative in the packaging. I add a circle of holiday fabric under the screw band, tie on some ribbon, and sometimes even a bell. Whatever I happen to have in my stash at the time! For the baking instructions, you can either print it and cut into a tag to tie on, or simply use packing tape to stick it directly onto the jar. This seems to work the best, as there's less chance of it becoming separated from the jar contents!

Happy Holidays, from my neck of the woods to yours!


3 comments:

Ashley said...

Yum. I also wish you could give one to all who happen upon your blog! And how come everything you touch turns out SO cute?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alyson, I will add your cookies to my to-do list. What a great gift. Thank You :-)

Anonymous said...

Love it. I've always wanted to make those, but didn't have the recipe. You're the greatest! =o)