Monday, June 21, 2010

Rolling the tape...

I'm a sap for anything sentimental. When I was pregnant with Grant, I would burst into tears anytime the Capital One commercial came on, playing Five for Fighting's "100 years". The thought of time passing so quickly immediately brought me to the verge of hysteria.

Today, I took the boys to see Toy Story 3.

(While I did get a few laughs out of the movie, I don't know that I would classify it as the "Breakout comedy of the summer". Maybe for the hard-hearted...)

The movie opened with footage of Andy, as a little guy, celebrating early birthdays and playing with beloved toys. Then the camera panned out, and you realized that this was video footage being replayed as Andy was preparing to leave for college. I should have taken that as a sign, and got up to leave right then and there. Instead, I stayed in my seat, and began hoarding the napkins. I knew I'd need them.

When the first Toy Story came out in 1995, I was single, young, and carefree. Some friends and I went to see it because we had nothing better to do on a Friday night. A touching tale about friendship, it took us all back to our own childhoods, full of hope and imagination.

Fast forward 15 years. The young boy in the first movie is all grown up. And so am I. I have three kids who are growing up right before my eyes. My oldest is preparing to enter middle school, and I know that in just a few short years, we'll be cleaning out her room in preparation for college. How does that happen so fast?


I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen the movie yet, but suffice it to say that I was sobbing, almost uncontrollably. Jack climbed on my lap, turned to me and whispered "Are those happy tears or sad tears?" I could barely answer...just sobbed out something resembling "A little of both". In his young mind, life drags by and his days are marked by when and what he'll eat next and how many times a day he gets to swim...so I can't possibly expect him to understand why I held onto him so tight.

I'll be pulling out the video camera a little more often from here on. I just wish that as director of my life's movie, I could yell "CUT" and stop the film from rolling quite so fast.

7 comments:

wanda said...

We saw that tonight, and while I wasn't sobbing, I WAS teary. My boy is packing to go to college just like Andy and putting away his toys.... He grew up watching Toy Story. Our house will be empty without him. Sniff.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness. This is the sweetest post Alyson. I love how you write.

I can't stand how fast time just flies on by. It brings me to tears just thinking about the fact that our babies are almost 4! They're going to start school and then go to high school and start driving and dating and then .. MOVE OUT! It's insane. I try and treasure the little things. Thank you for the reminder.

5 ibarras said...

i'm so glad i wasn't the only one sobbing in the theater, {and NOT just because i have the pregnant hormone thing going on!} your post exactly summed up my own feelings about my family and the time going by so quickly...only you put it into words 10x better than i could have!!! thank-you!

Grammie Star Wars said...

Okay, I'm going to wait for it to come out on DVD.

I cried just reading your post, lost it when Jack got on your lap.

Great reminder.

;.)

Jenny said...

I didn't cry at the movie but you just made me sob! Thanks :)

The DeVito's said...

What a great post! I'm still stuck in the long days of 2-year old hood! Someday I'm sure I'll be more where you are. :)

emily, etc, etc said...

I haven't seen it yet, but every mother I have talked to has basically echoed what you just said. The idea of my littles growing up and moving on just breaks my heart sometimes.