Thursday, May 6, 2010

Just call me Madam President...


It's no secret that I am involved in the kids' school. I have been room mom for years, have coordinated the FAME program and taught it for the last 6 years, and have strived to be an active, positive presence on campus. While teachers and administration can't and don't play favorites, I've discovered that it is easier to address concerns and issues if my face is not a stranger and if I'm putting forth efforts to better the environment.

The last few years have been challenging for our small school. In addition to the turmoil caused by the state budget cuts to education, we have had a group of parents that has actively worked to sabotage many of the great aspects of our school and the administration that took over 3 years ago. It upsets me to see parents badmouthing staff, complaining about lack of resources, and doing nothing to improve the situation.

Last fall, I volunteered to co-chair a Spring Pledge Drive for the school, with the goal of building bathrooms in the back playground and portables area of the campus. We had hoped to raise $20,000. In January when the state budget cuts to education were announced, our priorities were reevaluated. Art and music were on the chopping block, and suddenly bathrooms took a backseat to programs, and our fundraising goal jumped from $20,000 to $100,000! For a school with only 250 students, this was a huge undertaking.

Over the last 6 weeks, funds have been pouring in. To date, we've raised $60,000, which is nothing short of a miracle.

I decided early on in the year that I wanted to be a part of our Community Club board next year and institute some changes - not just in procedures, but in attitudes as well. When word got out that I was interested, rumors began circulating that I was not a good candidate for president. The reason? I am "too positive, and too supportive of the school". Really? Isn't that the whole purpose of a parent/teacher organization?

When nominations came in in late April, my name was thrown in the hat and up for approval. Surprisingly enough, there were no big objections, and on Tuesday night, I was officially elected as Community Club President for the 2010/2011 school year.

I haven't been able to sleep since, with thoughts circling in my head for what lies ahead. I have an amazing board to share the load, and I am confident that a positive attitude and support for our school will go a long way toward changing the attitudes of the naysayers and making our school a happier, more fun place for all of us!

I've promised Steve that this role will not consume my life or our family. I will delegate. I will uplift those around me. I will not take negative comments personally. And I will keep my positive attitude, even if it kills me!

8 comments:

The DeVito's said...

Good for you! I'm a big believer that if you have complaints and 1) you didn't vote or 2) you're not doing anything to change it, than you can't complain. It will be a lot of work but you will do a GREAT job!

FeLog said...

you're awesome Alyson... I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want you to be President... forget them! I hope to be heavily involved in my child(ren)'s school when they're of age as well; it's the only way to make sure things are run they way they should be.

Grammie Star Wars said...

My advice,
When you receive the "negative", remind yourself that it is a challenge and if you have no challenges you are not doing it correctly. ;.)

You will love all of the challenges, especially keeping others busy ;.)

Congratulations!!!

Ashley said...

Wow, that is awesome! You will do SUCH a good job, I am sure. Your school is so lucky, and it makes me mad that some of those parents don't realize how lucky they are! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is huge! Good for you though! And I agree with Holly .. at least you're putting forth the effort to make a change. You're going to be amazing!

Anonymous said...

A great 2010/2011 school year for a great school and what a LEADER.

Ryan and Renee said...

That is so great! I am sure you will do an amazing job! Good luck!

emily, etc, etc said...

Good for you Alyson! Maybe someday when my little ones get a little more independent I can become that involved...as for now my school just have to be happy that I am willing to do the newsletter...