Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Going Cold Turkey



About a year and a half ago, a friend of mine told me about facebook. She said it was so great, an easy way to connect with friends and family—both distant and near. I joined, and began to get friend requests from around the globe. Old boyfriends, third cousins twice removed, and close friends all wanted to be my online friend. In no time at all, I had hundreds of friends. I felt so popular!

Then one day, when I opened up facebook, the first image I saw was a sexually explicit one, posted on the page of a so-called "friend" of mine from high school. I was shocked, and immediately "de-friended" him. I didn't like the idea of me unintentionally leaving the page open and my kids being exposed to something that was not appropriate for their eyes (or mine, for that matter!).

As time went on, I found myself checking facebook more and more. Sometimes multiple times an hour, just to see if anyone had posted anything new. Thoughts ran through my head in the form of a "status update"—Alyson Whitaker is . . . making fish tacos for dinner. Alyson Whitaker is . . . driving carpool for the umpteenth time today. Alyson Whitaker is . . . trying to be productive, but can't get this darn website out of her head.

I want to write. Actually, I really want to write. I want to write something good. I don't know what that is yet, but I feel it inside me. To be a good writer, I actually have to write. I can't just think about it. And I was spending more time reading the status updates of people that I may never actually see in person again in my life (nor care to, for that matter), than I was focusing on what's important to me in my life right now.

Sunday night, I thought, "I wonder if I can go a week without checking facebook once?" I decided to give it a try. Yesterday morning, I logged on one last time, and updated my status "Alyson Whitaker is . . . taking the week off facebook. If you really want to know what's on my mind, check out my blog."

I made it through the day yesterday without severe withdrawals. I actually felt liberated. I took the app off my home screen on my iPhone so I wouldn't be tempted when I was sitting at swim practice, or in the carpool lane, or in line at the grocery store.

The time I spent lurking on facebook was wasted and unproductive. I want to spend what little free time I do have doing something that makes me a better person and pushes me towards my ultimate goals in life.

Will I check it again after this week is over? Perhaps, on occasion. But I have a feeling that after going a week without, I'll bid farewell and move on to better things.

5 comments:

5 ibarras said...

kudos to you al! it's funny how seemingly "little" things can take up such a huge chunk of the day! i think i would accomplish much more on my to-do list for the day if i wasn't distracted by checking FB every time i walk by the computer...thanks for the inspiring words!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Alyson! I was just thinking this morning that I am SO sick of the time I've been wasting on Facebook. I get up in the morning, eat my cereal in front of my laptop .. checking everyone's status, checking my blogs, and checking my email. By 9am .. I've wasted my WHOLE morning and I could have been exercising, cleaning, showering, playing with my kids for goodness sakes!! I'm gonna follow after you .. copy you if you will .. and go a week without facebook! I hope we'll both be better. I'll be calling you this week, of course, to see what you're up to. =o)

Laura said...

AMEN!! I've thought about that a lot lately. I need to give it a try. Thanks for the great idea!! :)

Anonymous said...

It can be fun, but I got bored with it pretty quickly and now I check it maybe once a week, if that. That's more than enough! I'm proud of you and really, you won't miss it.

Jenny said...

I'm so with you there! I want to join you. I'm taking it off my iphone as well. It's so adictive. I have made some great connections with past friends but I'm going to give them my email and blog if they really want to know what's up and call it quits. Such a time suck!