Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Things I Learned On Our Latest Road Trip

We just returned from a 10-day trip to Portland to visit my family. With 3 kids, golf clubs, and suitcases, it's easier (and a whole lot cheaper) to drive.

In a perfect world, the drive should be about 9 hours. In my world, add about 3 hours to that.

Over the course of our round trip trek, I learned a few things that will come in handy for future road trips:

1. Always carry a spare fuse for the DVD power cord. Radio Shack's aren't always accessible, though we did manage to find one in Medford, OR that was not too far off the freeway. I would have detoured several more miles, had it been necessary.


2. A newly potty-trained 3-year-old boy has approximately 7 1/2 minutes from the time he cries "potty" until there's a puddle.

3. In a pinch, a Propel bottle is the perfect substitute for a rest stop or gas station bathroom. Works well for little boys. Not so well for a girl. Just make sure it's empty.


4. Snacks are requested approximately every 23 minutes. That means over 12 hours, I need to have 36 snacks per child, or 108 total each way. Candy was the preference. A built-in vending machine would be nice.

5. Audio books are a nice deviation from movies, though they are read so slowly that I nearly fell asleep. At the wheel.

6. In order to avoid the above disaster, I guzzled far too many extra-large Diet Cokes. I couldn't sleep for 2 days after arrival.



7. After a long 10 days away, there is nothing more beautiful than pulling into the driveway and being home!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

This made me glad my kids aren't potty trained yet! Yes, the dvd player is critical! We actually stayed overnight in Medford--good times. We were up there for a family reunion. Tyler's dad's side of the family lives up there. It's a gorgeous area! What a cool place to grow up.

5 ibarras said...

Al, I SOOOO know what you mean. sometimes i feel like i'm packing more snacks than suitcases! glad you survived :)

The DeVito's said...

Welcome home! I really am glad you are back, even though I've barely had time to say hi to you, let alone talk to you!