Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Decade Ago...

Ten years ago today, we became parents. Ten years ago today, our lives changed forever...for better....for good.


When Olivia was born, we had been married less than 2 years, which at the time felt like a lifetime. We knew we wanted to be parents, but really had no idea what that would mean in our seemingly simple lives.

My due date was August 14. When August 25 rolled around, we were more than anxious, having tried nearly everything to get things started and get this baby girl out! Early in the morning on August 25, just hours before I was scheduled to be induced, I woke up with a start. Ouch. I went back to sleep, only to be woken up a few moments later with another pain. After watching the clock for about an hour, I woke up Steve. "Honey, I think I'm in labor." Both of our moms were in town for the birth, so we all got up, dressed and headed out to the hospital.

After about 9 hours of drug-free labor (with just a brief dose of a pain-killer right at the very end), and just a few quick pushes, out came this amazingly perfect little person...with the sweetest, softest cry the nurses had ever heard! We were in awe of what we had created, and the love that instantly filled our hearts and souls.

Now, ten years, two more kids, two more houses, a few more wrinkles and gray hairs later, we are still filled with the same awe and love that we first experienced ten years ago today.


Now, Olivia is a capable, independent, confident, helpful, loving, beautiful young girl...on the cusp of entering the most exciting and influential years of her life. A bright future lies ahead, and I am happy to get to be a part of it with her.


Happy Birthday Olivia...we love you!

2 comments:

The DeVito's said...

What a beautiful baby!! Happy Birthday Olivia! I hope it was everything you wanted it to be.

Anonymous said...

That just about made me cry! You know how easily I cry! =o) Happy Birthday Olivia! What a gorgeous girl she's grown up to be!