Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Conversations with a 5 year old




Yesterday while driving home, I had a conversation with Jack that went like this:

Jack:  Mom, if you and dad get divorced, I want to live with daddy.

Me:  Jack, daddy and I aren't getting divorced.  And if we did, and you lived with daddy, you'd have to go to day care all day every day, because daddy works really hard and is gone all day.

Jack:  Would I go to Eagle's Nest (the after school care program at his school)?

Me:  Well, if you lived with daddy, or mommy got a job, then you would have to go to Eagle's nest after school because I wouldn't be home to take care of you.

Jack:  Well, I think you should get a job then.

Me:  Why?

Jack:  Because I want to go to Eagle's Nest.

(then I pause for a minute while trying to figure out how to answer)

Jack:  Could you get a job by Friday?  Because they have movie day and popcorn on Friday at Eagle's Nest, and I want to go.  

3 comments:

The Knutsen Family said...

Maybe you could compromise. Instead of getting divorced, send the poor child to Eagle's Nest once a week or month. You both win. You get to stay w/ your husband and get a few extra hours to yourself! :) I see it as a WIN, WIN.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty good reason for a divorce!

emily, etc, etc said...

Classic - Funny how those kids without parents home would probably kill to have Jack's situation...