Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I Feel the Earth Move Under My Feet...


So last night, as the boys were in the bath, and Steve & Olivia were cleaning up the pumpkin carving mess, we had an earthquake! All of a sudden, the bath water started sloshing a lot more than usual! I was on my knees washing Grant, and it took me a moment to figure out what was happening. It lasted about 10-12 seconds, with pretty solid shaking the whole time.

We quickly turned on the news, and found out it was a 5.6 on the Richter Scale, and was centered just a few miles away. It was the biggest earthquake to shake the Bay Area since the Loma Prieta, back in 1989. That's a little scary.

We didn't have any damage (nor are there any outside reports of damage), and no one was injured. But it got me thinking about what we'd do if a real BIG ONE hit us. I have 8 5-gallon water jugs in my attic. They're empty. I suppose those wouldn't do much good if we needed them. I think I'll have Steve pull them down this weekend, and I'll fill them up.

We have food in the house for at least a couple of weeks, if we ate sparingly. But what would I do if the house collapsed? Maybe I should have a backup plan.

I'm a master procrastinator when it comes to things like this. I always think that nothing will happen to us. Or that our house will be fine, or that the water will be fine. But what if it's not? I've got three little munchkins, who depend on me for survival. What about them? Time to get off my rear and do something about it.

No comments: