Saturday, April 28, 2007

I am NOT a chicken!

Okay, maybe I'm a little bit of a chicken. But only when it comes to some things. I would willingly throw myself in front of a semi truck or moving train to save one of my children. I have eaten escargot, tongue, and numerous other odd cuisine. I can clean a wound without getting queasy, give blood, watch my children get shots. I am brave in lots of ways.
But tonight, I was not brave. I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, and sent Olivia into the laundry room with some dirty clothes. She called out "Mom, there's a lizard in the laundry room". I did not believe her. Why and how would a lizard be in the laundry room? When she said it again, I dropped what I was doing and went to check it out. Lo and behold, there was a lizard, with about 6 inches of it's body peeking out from underneath a rug. I freaked out.
This is the part that makes me thankful for friends. I called my friend and neighbor Diedra, who loves all things creepy and crawly and is not afraid of anything. She dropped what she was doing, and came over to capture the intruder. After a few attempts, "Allie" (short for Alligator Lizard) was rescued and set free in our yard.
I have to ask myself why I am afraid of a creature much smaller than me, and as of right now, I have no answer. So THANK YOU DIEDRA!!!!!

No comments: