Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Key to a Happy Life

Another funny kid story...one I don't want to forget!

A couple of weeks ago, Jack was battling a case of acute hives. We were back and forth to the doctor several times before we figured out what it was . . . poor guy, his entire body was covered in this awful red rash.

One night as we were going through the nightly ritual of creams, ointments, pills, and lotion, Jack was just sobbing. He looked awful—his neck, face, abdomen, arms, and legs were completely covered with big red welts.

As I was trying to calm him down with soothing words, this is the conversation that ensued:

Jack (in a sobbing, breathless voice): "I look so ugly. It's like I'm deformed. I'm never going to be normal again!"

Me: "You're not ugly Jack. You're going to be fine. I promise, it's not going to last forever."

Jack (still sobbing): "If I look like this, no one is ever going to love me!"

Me: "That's not true Jack. Lots of people love you. And I promise, you're not going to have this rash forever. I PROMISE!!!"

Jack (barely able to breathe at this point): "If I look like this, I am NEVER going to get a wife!"

Me: "Jack, calm down. You're going to be fine. I PROMISE!"

Jack (still barely able to breathe): "And if I don't get a wife, I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE A HAPPY LIFE!!!" (followed by a gut wrenching wail)



I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at that point . . . his sorrow was so real and so raw that it pained me. But at the same time, I was cracking up that at 10 1/2 years old, he was thinking about finding a wife. And that he was equating a happy life with being married. Which makes me think, maybe Steve and I are doing something right . . . !

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

I love these stories! They are wonderful! These kids say the darndest things. =o)