Monday, August 27, 2012

Thirteen—It won't be like this for long...

Over the weekend, we hit a milestone in our house . . . our firstborn child became a teenager!

It's hard to believe it's been 13 years since this little angel came into our world and changed it forever.



Now, she's blossoming into a beautiful young woman.

She got her braces off just days before her birthday...what a beautiful smile!


We celebrated with a fun party with a few of her closest friends.

She picked a black, white, and hot pink color scheme.

The dining room decorations turned out darling!

A custom-made banner hung above the back door.

Chocolate cupcakes, with homemade cream cheese frosting & hot pink sprinkles.

She's so lucky to have an amazing group of best friends!

I sometimes forget that she's "just" 13. She is wise far beyond her years in so many ways.

She is unbelievably kind and loving with her brothers. Even when they drive her nuts. She still loves to play with them, and I hope that continues forever (wishful thinking, I'm sure!).



She is incredibly responsible. I used to joke that we could leave her home alone for the weekend with the boys and everyone would fare just fine. Now, Steve and I can (though we don't do it nearly often enough) go on dates and not have to pay a sitter. It's a little taste of heaven!

She is driven and self-motivated. I never have to ride her to do her homework, she just buckles down and gets it done.

She's not afraid to try new things, even when they're scary or daunting. She went surfing for the first time last month down in So. Cal, and didn't give up until she got up.



About a week before her birthday we were talking in the kitchen while making dinner and I asked her if she still loved her room (we redid her room last year for her birthday, with the agreement that whatever she picked had to last through high school). She turned to me and, with a completely serious face, said "Oh yes . . . I love it. It will totally last me another 5 years until I move into my dorm." I nearly fell over.

Five years? Is that all I have left with her??? When she was born, 18 years seemed like an eternity. Now, it's not nearly long enough.

Last week we were in the car, and I desperately needed a break from hearing Carly Rae Jepson's "Call Me Maybe" and switched the station to country, much to Olivia's chagrin. A song came on that I'd never heard before, and within seconds, the tears were strolling down my face so fast that it was hard to see the road.

He didn't have to wake up
He'd been up all night
Layin' there in bed listenin'
To his new born baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee
He splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says
It's gonna be OK

It won't be like this for long
One day we'll look back laughin'
At the week we brought her home
This phase is gonna fly by
So baby just hold on
'Cause it won't be like this for long

Four years later 'bout 4:30
She's crawling in their bed
And when he drops her off at preschool
She's clinging to his leg
The teacher peels her off of him
He says what can I do
She says now don't you worry
This'll only last a week or two

It won't be like this for long
One day soon you'll drop her off
And she won't even know you're gone
This phase is gonna fly by
If you can just hold on
It won't be like this for long

Someday soon she'll be a teenager
And at times he'll think she hates him
Then he'll walk her down the aisle
And he'll raise her veil
But right now she's up and cryin'
And the truth is that he don't mind
As he kisses her goodnight
And she says her prayers

He lays down there beside her
'Til her eyes are finally closed
And just watchin' her it breaks his heart
Cause he already knows

It won't be like this for long
One day soon that little girl is gonna be
All grown up and gone
Yeah, this phase is gonna fly by
So, he's tryin' to hold on

'Cause it won't be like this for long

No, it won't be like this for long
-Darius Rucker



I'm trying to savor every minute—the good and the bad and everything in between—because I know it's true. It won't be like this for long.







3 comments:

Ashley said...

You are making me cry--that picture at the end!

She is just a darling girl--how lucky you are to have her! And that party was just adorable. You have such a gift!

Holly said...

You are making me cry (and I'm not pregnant like Ashley)! Happy birthday, Olivia! She is an amazing young woman because she has an amazing mother!!

Stefanie said...

Thanks a heap Alyson. Geez! Those song lyrics! Seriously? You KNOW how I cry .. and when I'm pregnant, it's WORSE!

What an amazing young woman Olivia has grown into. I can not believe how fast time goes by. She is incredible. Can't wait to see the amazing things she will continue to do.