Monday, August 8, 2011

Five

This guy is now officially five years old. FIVE! How did that happen?


Where did the time go? I know that phrase is over-used. But I really feel it . . . five years have passed, yet there are moments when I can still smell his newness, feel his innocence, and taste the sweetness that accompanies a newborn baby. Of course, I also vaguely recall the sleepless nights, leaking body parts (his and mine!), crying (again, his and mine!), and the feeling that my body would never be my own again!

At five, Grant measures 42" tall and weighs 43 lbs. He is solid as a rock.


He is rarely seen fully dressed. He'd go naked all day, every day if I'd let him.


He knows all the words to Bruno Mars' song "Grenade" and belts them out at the top of his lungs anytime the song comes on. He is especially good at the "For Ya" parts of the song.

He's even mastered the rock-star "faux-hawk" look!

He swims better than me. Seriously—and I was a pretty decent swimmer in my day. This kid has potential.


He tackles everything he does with incredible gusto. There are no half-hearted attempts at anything.




He has no fear. He'll be the one caught jumping off the roof, racing motorcycles, or crossing a tight rope between two sky scrapers. Steve won't let me watch him play outside anymore because I gasp and shriek too much at the stuff he does.



He is as stubborn as a mule. I've had to revamp my mommy-game to figure out what makes him tick, and I'm still figuring it out!


He starts kindergarten in 2 weeks. Bring on the champagne, and a case of kleenex. I have a feeling I'll be needing them both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Five! If Grant is five, that means Mallory will be five soon. I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I like hearing her tell people she's four and a half.

I love and miss Grant. I love how full of life he is. He'll definitely give you a run for your money. I love that you can't even watch him play outside anymore cause it'll give you a heart attack. Love him. Love you! Miss you!