Thursday, April 21, 2011

In her words . . .

When I woke up my computer this morning, I saw an essay Olivia wrote for school this week. She's become quite independent in her homework, which is wonderful! She was working on it last night before bed, and I didn't see it when she finished.

Apparently, at least in her mind, life isn't easy at 11.

"In my family, I am the oldest. There are some advantages and disadvantages about being the oldest. There is no one older to pick on you or make you feel like a “kid”. Being the oldest makes me feel older than I am. It also gives me more responsibility. It can be cool but can get uncool so fast.

An advantage is there is no one to pick on you. I think if I had an older sibling, they would make me feel like a “kid” because I’m not as old as them. Luckily though, that isn’t my case.

Another advantage is that it makes me feel older than I really am. My two brothers always look up to me for advice, which could or couldn’t be a good thing. It stinks because I am the role model for my brothers and I have to be pretty much on my beat behavior when I’m around them. It is mostly a good thing though.

A disadvantage is that it gives me more responsibility. I probably have 3 times more chores that I do and I probably have 10 times more homework than them. I could list my daily chores and homework but that could take a while.

Being the oldest comes with a lot of responsibility (and chores). Everyone has an important part in their family, no matter how much they love it or hate it. I always keep in mind that things are the way they are for a reason so just stick with it and things will turn around (hopefully)."

It's funny to me how she thinks she has so many chores. We have a housekeeper that comes every two weeks so there's no real scrubbing of toilets, floors, or showers. We have a gardener that does the yard, so she doesn't have to mow the lawn, trim trees, or pull weeds. I do the laundry, though I do ask the kids to put their own clothes away. Her chores literally consist of unloading one rack in the dishwasher, keeping her room picked up, feeding her rabbit, setting the dinner table, and a few extra odds and ends. But to hear her tell it, we're running a child labor camp.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Olivia. She is so grown up to me. That does crack me up about "ALL the responsibility" she has. Heaven forbid she has to keep her own room clean. =o) haha. Love it. It's always nice to be able to see what they are thinking sometimes though huh?

Anonymous said...

The world is waiting for you Olivia and boy do you have a surprise.
I know I felt the same at eleven. ;-)

Grammie Star Wars said...

I must admit, I look forward to reading more of her insights to her world ;.)

So wonderful to read her list of chores and mom letting us into the real world ;.)

She is the future writer of the paper ;.)

The DeVito's said...

I love her so much! It's funny that she says she feels older, because she does have such an old soul. I must say that I would like her list of chores!