Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Great Outdoors . . . in our own backyard!

Over spring break last week, we took a quick weekend trip to Yosemite. We've wanted to take the kids there for the past few years—ever since Steve and I visited for our anniversary three years ago. But we knew a fair amount of walking would be in the plan, and didn't want to be lugging a toddler on our backs. Grant is finally old enough to walk on his own (most of the time), with only minimal complaining.

We weren't sure if we would be able to get there—the week prior, everything had been shut down due to record snowfall and a power outage. We closely watched the weather forecast, and sun and above-freezing temperatures were in the works, so we decided to go for it! We were not disappointed.

We had an early morning breakfast at McD's and hit the road. It was our first real outing in the new car, and we tested out the REC (Rearseat Entertainment Center). The kids watched a movie in the backseat with their wireless headphones, while Steve and I listened to the XM Top 20 countdown over and over on Sirius Radio. It was awesome.


The incredible amounts of snow this year have resulted in absolutely spectacular waterfalls. We pulled over several times to check out the views.


We asked some random guy to take a picture of us.
We'd intended to showcase the waterfall behind us.
Instead, we ended up with mostly the road.
Oh well—you get what you pay for, right?

Our first stop in Yosemite Valley was Bridalveil Falls. A quick 1/2 mile hike took us to a bridge below the falls. We were roughly a quarter mile from the base of the falls. But from the water showering down, we may as well have been standing underneath!


We checked into our hotel later Saturday afternoon. We stayed at the Yosemite Lodge, right in the heart of the Valley. The kids love staying in a hotel. Our room was nothing spectacular, but the kids were ready to move in for good.

An afternoon rain shower gave us a good excuse to lay down and take a nap.


Or pretend to . . .

I figured this was a perfect opportunity to fool around with the
"Hipstamatic" app on my iPhone, with some fun results!

We had a lovely dinner at the upscale restaurant on-site. We had an amazing view of Yosemite Falls from our table.


Honestly, I think the view from my side of the table was equally as glorious.


Sunday morning, we woke up early and fueled our bodies for a hike up Yosemite Falls. We had intended to hike the trail to the Upper Falls, but because of all the snow still on the ground, we got a little off course.


We ended up exploring gigantic granite boulders.

"Help Mom and Dad . . . this boulder is going to crush us!!!!"

Jack harnessed his inner mountain goat and literally scampered over and around boulders and rocks alongside a stream.


Before Steve and I even blinked, he was out of sight. I had to bite my tongue to keep from freaking out, although I did manage to yell out several warnings like "Slow down!", "Be careful!", "Don't go any farther!", and "Jack—STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!"

I need to work on my ability to keep my mouth shut and let my boys be boys (and my girl too!). Testing physical limits and abilities plays an important role in their development, and I don't want to be a heli-mom (you know the ones . . . that hover about their kids like a helicopter). We didn't have a single scraped knee or elbow. Not sure if that was because I was praying nonstop, or that my kids are more competent, agile, and coordinated than I give them credit for. The only real casualties of the weekend were some very wet shoes from scampering through the snow!






When we crossed the bridge at the lower falls, a vibrant rainbow was shining through the water. It was breathtaking.


As we were wandering around the Lodge, tour bus after tour bus arrived full of visitors from all over the globe. I couldn't help but marvel at how people come from around the world to visit something that for us, is practically in our backyard. Cameras were snapping like mad at creatures that we often consider pests. Dozens of tourists were circled around a little chipmunk in the parking lot nibbling on a discarded Cheeto. It occurred to me that in many parts of the world, high rise apartment buildings and skyscrapers fill the landscape, leaving no room for the creatures that we see on an almost daily basis!

The time together made both Steve and I realize that we need to do things like this more often. No electronics (except the movie in the car, and my iPhone of course . . . aka "My Other Half"—hey, I used it to take lots of pictures!). The kids got along famously, but of course I couldn't capture a single picture with them all looking at the camera and smiling angelically . . .


As we were leaving the Valley Sunday afternoon, the sky was a brilliant blue. As we passed El Capitan, it literally took our breath away.


Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and is only a 2 1/2 hour drive away. I foresee many more adventures!

5 comments:

wanda said...

We LOVE our XM radio, especially on trips. Growing up, my family camped at Yosemite alot and I hadn't been back until about 5 years ago when I marveled again at the beauty. Your pictures make me want to make another trip!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures - what a wonderful trip. I always thought Yosemite was further away than that. I can't believe it's so close. I haven't been there since I was a kid. We need to plan a trip .. when my kids are big and can walk around on their own. =o) There is something to this whole growing up thing isn't there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking me on a wonderful vacation with the Whitaker Family. ;-)

Holly said...

Beautiful pictures!! I love Yosemite and want to go back again. It's so hard to get a place to stay in the summer though.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.