Monday, October 18, 2010

May I have this dance?

On Friday night, Olivia attended her first middle school dance. Steve and I debated about whether or not to let her go. In the end, we decided it was okay. Her school is very small. The middle school has approximately 60 kids, and we figured only about half would show up. She's gone to school with most of these kids since kindergarten, and the relationships are more like siblings than anything else. We figured it was pretty harmless.

Two boys had asked her to "go with them" to the dance (by go with them, they meant arrive and leave alone, but maybe dance together once). She responded that her parents wouldn't allow her to go with them, but that "maybe she would see them there". Smart girl.

She went to a friend's house after school to hang out and get ready.



I was stunned when I saw this photo of her. She seems to have grown up in an instant.


I'm not entirely ready to have a daughter this old. There are all sorts of roads ahead that we will have to navigate together. But at the same time, it is exciting to watch her, on the cusp of stepping over the ledge of childhood and into the next stage of life.



3 comments:

The DeVito's said...

She's so beautiful! I'm not ready for you to have a daughter that old! I'm gonna learn by your example. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of her - she does look all grown up. My goodness time sure does fly by. I love that girl!

I know it's horrible to watch them get older, but I'm excited for Olivia. I can't wait to see what she does with her life. She is so incredibly talented and willing to share her talents with everyone. She's going to break a lot of hearts =o) and do amazing things.

Oh .. and how in the world can you have a daughter that old when you're only 25? Weird.

Ashley said...

It has to be good for her confidence that she got asked to go by two boys! Awesome. I am glad you have a kid hitting this stage before I do. You are always wise about sticky kid situations and I will just keep taking notes!