Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lighten up world....Really!

This morning on the Today Show, there was a clip about the uproar over this Sesame Street clip, set to debut this week on the new season of the decades old kids' show:




Parents across the country came out in protest of this clip, stating it was "inappropriate", "seductive", and "provocative", and demanding the clip be pulled off the show. I watched the clip this morning. Seriously????? Katy Perry is a controversial mega-star right now. Her upbeat music does have provocative lyrics...I've found myself on more than one occasion belting out the lyrics in the car to one of her songs, catching myself when I realize what I'm singing about. But in this case, she's tuned it way down, changing up the words to be completely innocent. She's obviously dressing up, she admits it. Yes, a little cleavage is showing. But have you walked down the street lately? Preschool teachers dress more provocatively than this.

As a longtime fan of Sesame Street, I've watched them struggle in recent years to keep up with more enticing programming like Dora, Diego, Imagination Movers, and the like. Grant has never been a big fan of Sesame Street - it's not exciting enough for him. I've tried endless tactics to get him to watch the show, to no avail. However, he's a huge fan of Katy Perry (censored, of course), and knows some of her songs by heart. Putting more clips like this on the show would most certainly garnish his viewing vote. For pete's sake...it's a kids show. And 3–5 year olds will most certainly not get the wrong impression watching this. Lighten up world!!!!!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Hmmmmm... Don't quite know what to think about this one. My kids don't watch Sesame Street and never have so I don't really care that Katy Perry is on. But...I don't think she's an appropriate role model for kids - which is exactly why my kids don't watch SS. They've always been a little too on the liberal side for me. It's fine if they want to have a family with 2 dads on and pop stars that sing about kissing other girls - I know that's reality - but not something I want to be explaining to my 3-5 year olds quite yet. Usually I'm with you Al but on this one I have to say I agree with the complaining parents. :)

Anonymous said...

This cracks me up. Mallory and I sing along to this song in the car all the time (the real one .. not the Sesame Street version of course) =o) I don't really see a problem with it .. just like you said, she's playing dress up and she changed all the words. A lot of pop stars have come on SS and done the same thing.

Neither of my kids watch Sesame Street though .. Mallory's outgrown it and I can't get Zach to watch a minute of TV (it's SO annoying!) =o) If this clip came on, I would let my kids watch it and then I would probably have the song in my head all day. What's the big deal?

Jenny said...

By the way in putting my comments I mean in no way to offend those that are Sesame Street lovers. It's obviously just my opinion and I am not prejudice against those who like Big Bird and Oscar. I'm just a prude I guess... :)

The DeVito's said...

I think that's hilarious! Kids definitely wouldn't get the wrong idea! I always think about the fact that my mom let us watch Grease until we had it memorized as kids. It wasn't until I was about 17 that I watched it and was like, this is a dirty movie! I asked my mom why she let us watch it and she said, you had no idea what it was talking about and you loved the songs! Parents need to lighten up!

FeLog said...

I agree that 3-5 year olds don't quite understand what is being said/sung or what someone is wearing - to the point that we do. However, 1. I'm guessing the parents may have complained, just because (like most of us), we want to have good examples around our children (representing modest clothing and speech). 2. If I were invited to be on Sesame Street, I might think twice about wearing such an open top outfit. I don't know where you see Preschool teachers who wear less - but even as a 2nd grade teacher, I was very careful about wearing high neck stuff - just because I was constantly on my knees, on the floor, or bending over... Preschool teachers seem to be even more cautious about it...
Yeah - some parents do need to lighten up - or just don't let your kids watch it. There are plenty of other programs and dvds out there if you want your kids to watch something educational.
I'm just sayin :)

emily, etc, etc said...

I agree with you, but I do think her outfit is a little Playboy bunny-ish. She could be "dressed up" in something a little more modest. Just because preschool teachers and other people are dressed a certain way gives license to immodest dress on children's shows (or any other show for that matter). But I do basically agree with you - people should lighten up. I thought the video as a whole was really cute and I actually doubt that my children would even notice or care about her cleavage.

As a sidenote, I don't really know anything about Katy Perry (yeah, I'm lame I know. And no, I don't live in a cave - we just don't watch TV).