Friday, February 19, 2010

California in February

I grew up in Portland, where it rains 300 days out of the year. And from October to May, you never go anywhere without multiple layers, as the damp air is brrrrr....cold!

When I first moved to Southern California nearly 15 years ago, I couldn't get over how people wore short sleeves and shorts on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Winter was for warm, cozy sweaters, sweatshirts, and the like.

Now, in Northern California, it isn't quite as warm as it is down south. We do wear sweaters and sweatshirts and long pants for most of the winter. But every now and then, the sun will warm us up to the point of the kids complaining that they're hot. Grant is especially likely to complain of being too warm...that boy would be naked every day if I let him.

We had a stretch of sunny weather this last week, a much needed break from the rain that has been falling since January. Grant was playing outside all by himself one afternoon, content and happy and completely self absorbed. I peeked out the window to check on him, and this is what I saw:



He was making "chocolate pie", and apparently spilled some water on his shirt, while he was running back and forth inside the house to the bathroom to fill up his cup (this explains the mysterious water path going through the house...).



Rather than come get a new shirt, or just deal with the wet one, he decided it was a good excuse to undress a bit. Makes perfect sense to me!

3 comments:

The DeVito's said...

I'm with him! The less clothes the better on a "hot" day!

Anonymous said...

I love it. That's too cute. He's too adorable for words. Mallory misses him. I miss you! Thanks for the chat today. It was wonderful catching up.

Anonymous said...

That Little Guy belongs in Southern California