Friday, December 11, 2009

Just What I Always Wanted

My whole married life, I have been yearning for the perfect Nativity Set to bring the spirit of Christmas into our home. I have searched far and wide, high and low, online and in real stores. Yet none was to be found that fit the mold of what I was looking for.

I have a small collection of kid-friendly sets, ones that I don't mind if the kids play with. In fact, I love them rearranging it, playing with Baby Jesus, and creating scenes of Christ, mixed with the occasional action figure or Hot-Wheels car. But I still wanted the grown up set that I could admire and reflect on and enjoy.


About 3 years ago in a catalog, I saw what I wanted. It was simple, it was beautiful, it was perfect. I waited too long to order it that year, and it was sold out. I told myself I'd buy it next year. The next two years came and went, and no nativity.

This year, over Thanksgiving weekend, I promised myself this was the year. I came home, and began the online search (love modern technology!). I found the set at a great price on ebay. The auction was almost over. I quickly logged on, entered a bid, and a moment later, I had won! I was so excited . . . and waited daily for that UPS truck to show up with my winnings.

Yesterday, just as it was getting dark, there was a knock on the door. I opened it up to find a gigantic box. Inside, carefully packaged in 20 individual boxes, lay my nativity. It took me an hour to unpack and unwrap each piece. As I unwrapped each one, I marveled at its beauty and was nearly giddy with anticipation to get it set up and displayed.


When it was all arranged, I started to cry. Though I must admit it's about twice the size of what I was expecting, it is exactly the nativity of my dreams. It was just what I wanted! For me, Christmas is now complete. Unless Santa is reading this, in which case, I've been a very good girl this year, and don't forget to check my list!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome Alyson! I love it. I LOVE that nativity. My mom bought me the mary, joseph and jesus with sanctuary by the same artist (Susan Lordi) I love the simplicity of the figurines with no faces. It's beautiful. I want to slowly add to mine so I can have the full set.

Kayelynn said...

That's so funny...we have the same Fisher-Price nativity and your new one is still on MY wish list. Maybe next year...it's so pretty.

wanda said...

It's very beautiful. Congratulations. How big is it? It is hard to tell from the picture.

The DeVito's said...

That is a beautiful nativity! I just got the Little People nativity for Bella. She loves it and knows the baby is Jesus.

5 ibarras said...

I LOVE IT! i, too, only have the mary, joseph, shepard and sheep of the same set. i would LOVE to expand to the complete set with the stable and stars, etc.!!!! Congratulations, it looks spectacular!