Monday, March 17, 2008

My new obsession...and the perfect solution!

I've been a scrapbooker for several years. When Olivia was born, I wanted a fun, creative way to document her life, and scrapbooking seemed to be the perfect solution. It was great...for a while. Then Jack came along, and I wanted to document his life as well. Suddenly, keeping on top of it all started to feel a bit overwhelming. Sure, some of the events of their lives could be individually recorded with relative ease (birthdays, sports, school pictures, etc.). But what about the events that were shared, like holidays, vacations, etc? I would have to create duplicate pages - one for each child's album. Then Grant came along, and I freaked out completely. How could I possibly keep up with 3 albums, and have a complete album for each child when they leave home? It was hard enough to find time to do one page/event/etc, let alone three pages! It seemed virtually impossible...until recently!

About a year ago, a friend mentioned that she was starting to "digitally" scrapbook. At first, I was skeptical - it didn't seem like it could have the same creative impact. Then a few weeks ago, I was asked to team teach a class on digital scrapbooking to the Young Women at church. Perfect opportunity to learn! A couple of other women in the stake were teaching with me, and they showed me their albums, and I was hooked!

Two weeks ago, I went to a scrapbook bed & breakfast (I know, I'm a complete nerd for even wanting to go to something like that!) with a friend up in Washington. I took my "paper" stuff, and completed about 25 pages...not too shabby. I also dragged along my mom's laptop (a whole other story in and of itself...suffice it to say my mom rocks!) and completed another 14 pages digitally. And since I've been home, it's all I want to do! Steve is beginning to resent the computer a bit, as I am spending too much of our evening "alone time" working on scrapbook pages!

I've discovered that there are just as many adorable "digital" elements/paper/etc. as there are "paper" ones, and many are free online. I can easily crop or enlarge pictures to any size, add frames, cute journaling, stitching...the possibilities are endless. I can use and re-use elements as many times as I want, even changing their colors to suit my needs. It truly is amazing. And then, I can upload the finished pages to Costco, and in about an hour, pick up a completed 12x12 page, ready to slip into one of four albums (family, and 1 for each child).

It's turned out to be the perfect "happy medium" for me - it is still a creative outlet for me, and I can create the page just once, and print three copies of it...or more if I want to make gift albums, etc. I'm OBSESSED!!!!!

Here are a few pages I recently completed






4 comments:

Ashley said...

I have been wondering about digital scrapbooking for a while. I have a few friends who are into it, but I have had the same reservations you mentioned. I never realized you could print out the pages like you do, that is what makes it so cool! I am too scattered to even think about scrapbooking of any kind right now (Charlie didn't get a bath today, and you know how I feel about that!) but I will have to talk to you about it more when (if?) life becomes manageable! Oh, and your pages are darling! Your kids are so lucky.

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting to see some of your pages since you got back from your girls weekend! I LOVE them all. Way too cute! We'll have to get together and you can teach me ALL you know about digital scrapbooking! I'd love to get into it.

emily, etc, etc said...

Oh my goodness Alyson, I need to know how to do this!!!! I have been having the same problem - I am so behind on scrapbooks (I think I am still in Lily's first year and now she is almost five). If you feel so inclined, have the time, and if you wouldn't mind could you e-mail me at least some tips and places I can go to get info and get started. They are such cute pages and such a great idea. hillfamily3@hotmail.com

Thanks and super cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm on the same page as Emily. I've never liked scrapbooking at all, but have wanted to do it digitally for a while and just didn't know anyone who could help me. It seems that you are the perfect solution. I NEED that info so that I can get started. Your pages are SO cute and I love that you can upload them to Costco and just go and get them. Heaven sent! Email me the info please - you have my address!

Love you - shell